How Common Is It For Agency/owner Not To Return Deposit

Hard to say, depends what sort of premium you place on these things.

As far as the deposit is concerned, the maximum possible value is by definition <100% of the value of the deposit. As far as paying late is concerned, well, that depends on how important subjectively that is to you. Trustworthy owners? That can be important. Things can always go wrong and it's important to have a responsible and responsive landlord. That said, hard to put a value on this, I think, beyond your own instinct.

A neighbor and friend of mine, on account of repairs made in the building, had his apartment flooded and spent a while without electricity in half the apartment including the kitchen, bunch of stuff wrecked, etc. Owners are not bad people but weren't on top of things. If when sh*t happens, having owners who will be on top of things is important.

We've had water damage in our apartment because of problems in the unit above us. The consorcio has assumed the cost of repairs, but it was a major inconvenience.

I did not get back my deposit when I left the apartment I had been in for over 3 years a few weeks ago. The admin and the owner would rise the price of a room every time some one moved out and someone else moved in, in addition to the 25% increment every year and 5% increment in the half of the year. Since I had been there for so long, my rent did not rise as the admin and owner would have hoped, so when the opportunity came to house a Frenchie with euros, they told me to get lost. I paid one month's worth of rent as a deposit when I first moved in, that was 1200 pesos (300 dollars back then), but today it's really not much at all.

After packing my stuff, I asked for the deposit back and was told that since I was leaving earlier than expected (the Frenchie was arriving in February but I had been told in late November that I had to leave so of course I started looking for something else right away and found something in December, shortly after I had ponied up that month's rent), then I could not have the deposit or December's rent back, and that they were nice enough not to ask for January's rent. The nerve! Oh well, if you ask me, $1200 plus a month's worth of rent is a small price to get those bastards off my back. They have yet to ask me for the keys back, and I have no intention of writing to them and take some time off to meet the admin and drop the keys off. Screw 'em.

I did not get back my deposit when I left the apartment I had been in for over 3 years a few weeks ago. The admin and the owner would rise the price of a room every time some one moved out and someone else moved in, in addition to the 25% increment every year and 5% increment in the half of the year. Since I had been there for so long, my rent did not rise as the admin and owner would have hoped, so when the opportunity came to house a Frenchie with euros, they told me to get lost. I paid one month's worth of rent as a deposit when I first moved in, that was 1200 pesos (300 dollars back then), but today it's really not much at all.

After packing my stuff, I asked for the deposit back and was told that since I was leaving earlier than expected (the Frenchie was arriving in February but I had been told in late November that I had to leave so of course I started looking for something else right away and found something in December, shortly after I had ponied up that month's rent), then I could not have the deposit or December's rent back, and that they were nice enough not to ask for January's rent. The nerve! Oh well, if you ask me, $1200 plus a month's worth of rent is a small price to get those bastards off my back. They have yet to ask me for the keys back, and I have no intention of writing to them and take some time off to meet the admin and drop the keys off. Screw 'em.

That's outrageous. You know, you paid $300 so you should ask for the equivalent back now. You should tell them your deposit is worth AR$4200 now and that they owe you.

I know some Russian guys with tracksuit.

Did you pay the deposit in US dollars? Or in pesos. If it was in dollars then they should return it to you in dollars or the equivalent in pesos. You didn't have a rental contract? If they break if they have to give you back your deposit. I once broke a rental contract and I didn't bother to ask for my deposit back because it was only fair that the owner keep it. The owner most likely didn't ask for the keys back because her or she changed the lock.

Did you pay the deposit in US dollars? Or in pesos. If it was in dollars then they should return it to you in dollars or the equivalent in pesos. You didn't have a rental contract? If they break if they have to give you back your deposit. I once broke a rental contract and I didn't bother to ask for my deposit back because it was only fair that the owner keep it. The owner most likely didn't ask for the keys back because her or she changed the lock.

I paid in pesos and there was no contract. At first I signed contracts for a few months at a time, but the admin just got lazy and did not have me sign anymore. I guess that was to her convenience, as she could increase the rent or give me the boot whenever she felt like it. Like I said, she wrote to me telling me that someone would take my room in February and to start looking ASAP. She even sent me numbers of her friends who were renting (An apartment in Centro for just a thousand dollars a month! What a steal!)

Whatevs. I don't have a thousand dollars a month for rent but at least I'm well off enough to recognize that it's just money. I would rather not get the money back and have nothing more to do with those people than continue fighting for it.

Besides, the Internet was in my name so I canceled it without notifying. Hah.

Back