How Did You Learn Spanish?

I have a rather Italian-sounding last name (presumably of French origin), which was constantly interpreted as Italian and often slightly corrected by whatever official, restaurant owner, shop owner etc I had to talk to, followed by the usual criticism: '' But you are an Argentine, right? Look at the name!!! Where is your Argentine passport?''

They told you that in Argentina or Spain??

That's a funny one. Well, also generally, French attempts at speaking Spanish often make me laugh (often involuntarily), even if in a technical sense they are really skilled. To me the harsh, loud and lumpish sounds of Spanish just don't go together with the finesse of the subtle French language. The combination just sounds ridiculous. However, you seem to have quite a lot of talent for languages, so getting rid of the strong accent should have been easier than for most people I have met.

Main difficulty for me: in France we speak from deeper in the throat while Spaniards use more the tip of the tongue with the lips. The "RRRRrrrrr" pronunciation is what amazes me the most. Check the "RRRRR" at 1:28 of the song below (late 1920's, typical Parisian accent of the era). It's similar, but different.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmjIRfycj6g

The Spanish rrrrrrrrrréééééé I wrote earlier should in fact rather be written éééééérrrrréé. I'm sure I'll never be able to pronounce it!

My uncle married a mexican woman, about 30 years ago, and has been living over there since. His Spanish is perfect, when it comes to grammar and vocabulary. His accent is still as Dutch as the day he arrived though. A talent for learning languages doesnt necessarily come with a talent for pronouncing them.
I think learning to copy accents also requires a big and concentrated effort in itself. Classes often focus on things like grammar and vocab but if you want to learn how to mimic accents, just listening to others isn't enough. I sometimes still practice accents in many languages in front of my mirror in order to not forget them (Russian is like a jealous wife). But unlike grammar and other more theoretical knowledge, my accent depends on my mood, if I feel comfortable with someone I am more inclined to speak with an impressive Argentine accent than when I unexpectedly bump into Maximo Kirchner when turning the corner. I haven't met a lot of people who can constantly sustain a wonderful rioplatense accent, most of us are just not naturally used to speaking in such an exaggerated way.

They told you that in Argentina or Spain??
Argentina. Here in Spain, I haven't met a single person who reacts enthusiastically when I mention Argentina in whatever positive way. I miss the Argentine joviality... people here are often absolutely boring :(

Main difficulty for me: in France we speak from deeper in the throat while Spaniards use more the tip of the tongue with the lips. The "RRRRrrrrr" pronunciation is what amazes me the most. Check the "RRRRR" at 1:28 of the song below (late 1920's, typical Parisian accent of the era). It's similar, but different.

The Spanish rrrrrrrrrréééééé I wrote earlier should in fact rather be written éééééérrrrréé. I'm sure I'll never be able to pronounce it!

0:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppH4MBsVTKU

Argentina. Here in Spain, I haven't met a single person who reacts enthusiastically when I mention Argentina in whatever positive way. I miss the Argentine joviality... people here are often absolutely boring :(

Really? That surprises me a bit cause even though my boyfriend isnt exactly enthusiastic, i have met quite a lot of Spanish people that were. I remember going to Barcelona for some days almost right after i came back from BsAs, and people were really charmed by the accents. Others got slightly pissed of, but either way the reaction was interesting.

I learnt Spanish here 74-76 and only being 17 and very keen it just seem to come naturally.
Meeting lots of Argentine girls of my age had to help no doubt.
If I had s to start from scratch at my age, Lord knows.
I have to say though, I cannot and will not pronounce words like Billingshurst and Pringles in the Argentine way.

Back