How Did You Learn Spanish?

Somewhereinba

Registered
I would love to hear how all the expats have done learning castellano while in Argentina. In high school I jumped between 3 languages and never managed to become decent in any of them. I find languages difficult to learn. I also struggle to get enjoyment from the process itself - more frustration than anything. Is it necessary to study or will a person be able to become fluent from simply being around the language for a long period of time? If anyone has any tips I would love to hear it. I'm thinking about downloading some spanish movies and putting on english subtitiles. I am at a stage where I can communicate on a very basic level to get by but not enough to be able to properly express myself. My partner is Argentinian and speaks to me in english when its clear I have no idea what she is trying to say.

I'm an anglophone who normally lives in Montreal, so I am fluent in English and semi-fluent in French-- which really helped with Spanish, not only because the grammar is similar but because I am used to speaking a second-language on a daily basis (however imperfectly).

As for Spanish-- I took one year of Spanish in university (10 years ago?) and have spent quite a bit of time in Mexico. When I arrived in BA, I went to a language school and took group classes for about three weeks (I started in level 2)... and then I switched to private classes. When I returned to Montreal, I continued with the private lessons via Skype and took a class at a community centre.

And here I am again. Taking private lessons. I'm probably at level 4, intermediate.

I learned by doing, spending extensive periods in Argentina and Chile in the late 1970s and early 1980s, when the two countries were not exactly major tourist destinations for reasons we all know now. With few other English speakers around, it was near-total immersion and, while it was tiring and sometimes exhausting, I learned a lot in a very short time.

I have been here about 19 months now and arrived with basically 0 spanish (knew greetings and a cpl of foods and objects). Spent 5 weeks at one of the tourist schools going everyday and since have had a private teacher generally around once a week. I am around it all day at work, seeing as practically all of my colleagues are Argentine. My girlfriend is Argentine.

For the first cpl of months, even with studying I couldnt really have much of conversation and even with the classes, after about 2 months we started switching to Spanish. But it was tough, we would usually just end up in english haha. But, gradually there was less and less english and after 6 months I was conversational and pretty comfortable. Now we both agree speaking english feels odd, I guess the language of the relationship is Spanish. I think I have clearly learnt the most from her, my colleagues and friends and my teacher.

I would not say I am fluent yet (how do you define it anyway), I think to knowing all the phrases and everything, takes years. And although I dont think the pronunciation is so hard, I dont think I am a natural (need to hear a word a good few times before it sticks!!)

Some tips I would give:
1) keep practicing with your partner, listen to her on the phone, with friends and family etc. The key is to train your ear and as you learn the vocab you will understand more and more.
2) getting a really good private teacher. If you can afford it, its so much better use of your time than group classes. I am happy to recommend you mine who is excellent and I have tried a few
3) Interacting with as many locals as you can. And even if they speak english, try and atleast get some time in to practice your english. If not with friends, even with family, friends of your partner etc. Often when I ask what a word means or how you say it, I return that person the word in english and still throw a bit of english in with my local friends and colleagues, so they learn a bit too and dont feel like its all a one way street! Also, lots of praise for them when they correct you :)
3) listening to the news etc, radio as much as you can. This is difficult at first but gets easier, a lot of them speak clearer and a bit slower.
4) Get a book/source for Argentinian slang. I have a copy of Che Boludo and its a good start, I recommend it.
5) putting up signs everywhere in the house! (really helped with vocab). In fact, I saw the other day at one of my argentines friend house he had magnets on his fridge of like 50 different foods etc. His gf is a kindergarten teacher and had put them up, I think he got them in Palermo at one of the stalls.

All in all, dont put too much pressure on yourself, I know in the first few months I did and I wasnt enjoying it. When I started to relax, everything became much more enjoyable and I seemed to learn faster!

Like said LK, speaking French (or Italian, Portuguese) can really help (same roots).

Still, when I arrived here in 2003, I couldn't say a word & could hardly decipher a newspaper. During my first weeks, I went to buy eggs in a supermarket and asked for "oeuf", "egg", etc. I finally imitated a hen laying an egg (lol) and got my eggs.

My main source for learning castellano was reading newspapers everyday, that helps a lot.

Sometimes I can at least briefly feign Porteño, but more often Argentines are unable to identify my accent. After they've guessed French, German, Swiss, German, Polish, Bulgarian, etc., I just tell them I'm Vietnamese or Thai (I am from the US, married to an Argentine from Bs As province).

In my case people usually tried ''Spain'' which in my view is not too much of a compliment...... joder

Ive been able to fool quite a lot of people with my accent, although ive left quite a while ago so i dont know what it would be like now. The accent is still there for sure, but im not sure if its as fluent :(

Back