How do I buy a Car?

A little more info about buying a car:

Prior to the transfer of title you will need the inspection to verify that the engine and vehicle serial numbers are the same as on the title. It costs about ten pesos. The gestoria will need the report before they can make the transfer. Also, I suggest you check the numbers yourself prior to buying the car.

Insurance (with full coverage) for a 16 year old Peugeot 504 with Mapfre is less than $200 per month. I'm not sure about late model cars. The insurance company will not even ask if you have a driver's license.

Taxes for a 16 year old 504 are $400 pesos per year. Taxes for a four year old VW Bora are about $2000 annually. This is the tax rate in Provincia Bs As. They could be higher in CF.

Here is the name of the website for checking to see if there are any encumbrances using # patentes (license plates) in CF:

http://www.agip.gov.ar/web/guias-de-tramites/index.htm

Click on guia-de-tramites para Patentes to see the drop down menu.

If you find a car outside CF go to the ARBA website: http://www.arba.gov.ar

If you buy a used car be sure you know in which municipality it is registered. You can change the municipality after you complete the transfer of title. I did this myself and it was very easy. I just took a copy of the title and my DNI. It took less than ten minutes, including paying the "last" tax quota at a caja in the same location, but I was lucky I was the only one doing this tramite at the time. If you don't perform this tramite you may not receive the tax information and you might end up paying 30% more if you don't make the quotas on time. This happened to me because the gestoria did not change the municipality, even though I paid an extra $100 pesos when I picked up the title.

Also, if the vehicle you buy is older than 15 (?) years you may not be able to acces the tax information on line. I could not find my car on the ARBA website when I entered the # patentes. When I went to ARBA at thr registro in Punta Alta they sent me to the municipality. The municipality in Punta Alta did not have the car in their database. That's when I discovered the car was still registered in Bahia Blanca.

The #1 reason for my moving to BA was that you don't need a car. The #2 reason was.................I know that there was a second reason. Maybe not?

fred mertz said:
The #1 reason for my moving to BA was that you don't need a car. The #2 reason was.................I know that there was a second reason. Maybe not?

Fred, I know what you mean and that was one of the appeals of living in in the city. We have survived for over 7 years without a car here in Bs.As but the time has come to buy one. My wife would like to learn how to drive, my oldest son (16) would also like to learn and I'd like to take my family (4 kids) for weekends into the country, across to Uruguay for holidays.

When we go out for dinner, we hire two taxis each way as the legal limit in 99% of all taxis is 5 people.

I recently explored the option of hiring a people mover for a week but it came in at 3400 pesos.... way to expensive so now I'm exploring a car/4wd purchase.

Back