How do I buy a Car?

TrevorCito

Registered
Hi All

I was hoping that somebody knew the process and documentation needed to purchase a car in Buenos Aires. Do you need a DNI? What else is required? What are the registration costs? What are the insurance costs? Where is registration paid? Can I purchase a car just with my passport?

How do you check whether a car has debts or is free of encumbrances?

I have searched the forum but haven't found anything in the hundreds results that answers all my questions. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Trevor

Is one year ago recent enough? I don't think much has changed since then.

Using a gestoria (cost about $800-$1000) pesos will make the transfer much easier, but first you have to find the car .

You can check to see if the car has a "clear title" on line if you know the license plate number.

Vehicles over 15 years old may actually cost more to insure than newer ones.

Go to your nearest Mapfre office and ask about rates for any car you are interested in buying.

Yes, you can buy and register a car with a passport, but you need to have the DNI to get an Argentione driver's license. Someone recently posted that permanent residency was also required, but I am not sure about that. I already had permanent residency when I got my Argentine driver's license.

I suggest that you not drive with a foreign or an international driver's license if your tourist visa has expired, even if you have insurance.

Get car but don't expect to enjoy driving. There is absolutely nothing enjoyable about driving in BA. Does "Monkeys with Machine Guns " ring any bells?

TrevorCito said:
I have searched the forum but haven't found anything in the hundreds results that answers all my questions. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Trevor

Whether you appreciate my answers or not (didn't you once tell me to post less here ...either because I listened to Glenn Beck on the radio and/or simply mocked me for being a member of the "moral elite"?), I just want to add that you might be taking a huge risk unless you have an Argentine driver's license or have a valid "tourist" visa if you are driving with a foreign or international license and are ever involved in an accident, even if you are not at fault and have your own insurance coverage.

TrevorCito said:
Has anybody been through the process of buying a car recently?

Yes, a new motorcycle two years ago and an used one a year ago (almost the same process as for the cars). Same rules apply, mostly.

steveinbsas said:
I just want to add that you might be taking a huge risk unless you have an Argentine driver's license or have a valid "tourist" visa if you are driving with a foreign or international license and are ever involved in an accident, even if you are not at fault and have your own insurance coverage.

Excellent points... I'll definitely get a national drivers license.

Steve, thanks for the excellent advise.

steveinbsas said:
Using a gestoria (cost about $800-$1000) pesos will make the transfer much easier, but first you have to find the car .

I didn't know about this service and will check it out.

steveinbsas said:
You can check to see if the car has a "clear title" on line if you know the license plate number.

Do you have the website on hand?

steveinbsas said:
Go to your nearest Mapfre office and ask about rates for any car you are interested in buying.

It is very easy to get insurance with Mapfre on line with Banco Santander Rio (at least it is if you have an account with them).

Insurance services here seem a little different to that provided in Australia so I'll definitely be reading the fine print.

steveinbsas said:
I suggest that you not drive with a foreign or an international driver's license if your tourist visa has expired, even if you have insurance.

Agreed, will check into getting my Argie license.

Many Thanks
Trev

We bought a car before we moved here, as a tourist. No DNI. No problem.

Only make sure that the money you pay it with is official, if you pay in cash (which we did) you have to print a receipt showing you got it off an account abroad, or you should exchange it in an official office.

Back