How Do Wealthy Expats Live In Argentina

Puerto Madero is probably the most expensive neighborhood in the city right now. *Personally* I wouldn't live there - I find it a fun place to go out for dinner or drinks but a bit remote and desolate to live there. But if you want a bit more upscale and more luxury apt/highrise options - it is something to consider.

Syngirl is dead on - do come down here for 6 months and then make the decision to move permanently. There are so many great things about this city but there are equally frustrating things as well. What is great on a vacation and you can brush off as scenic or charming becomes much more of a grind when you are living here and trying to deal with it on a daily basis.

I love it here & will be here for the long-run I hope but for me, the good outweighs the bad. The same is not true for many expats. i would say 50% of my expat friends have left within the last 12 months and of the ones that are still here, I would guess at least half will leave within the next 6 months. It's a transient place...

syngirl said:
Same with salaries etc. You could choose whether to save in pesos or dollars, a lot of people stuck with peso accounts, then the peso lost value, their savings essentially depleted.

While that is true, many solidly "middle class" Argentines were already living from paycheck to paycheck. Because they did not have savings, they were not prone to direct significant losses as a result of the devaluation.

Back