How do you cope with inflation?

I think the reason mine is expensive is my age (53) and my Argentine wife added me to her plan just before I turned 50. At that time we were paying something like AR$750 and her on her own when I arrived in 2005, she was paying about 500.
If that's not inflation, I'm a Chinaman.

Gringoboy said:
I think the reason mine is expensive is my age (53) and my Argentine wife added me to her plan just before I turned 50. At that time we were paying something like AR$750 and her on her own when I arrived in 2005, she was paying about 500.
If that's not inflation, I'm a Chinaman.
Gung ho fat choy.
Sorry, I don't follow the numbers, but I won't dispute it's inflation. My point is that health insurance in AR is comparatively inexpensive even taking into account the lower income levels of the peso based wages/salaries. That seems true despite hyperinflation. Bear in mind that health ins premiums rise both because of your advancing age and based upon inflation. Not sure about your ages, but get set for a shock when you turn 65. Rates skyrocket.

To be honest, it's not really fun anymore. I'm starting to feel like I'm being ripped off on everything I buy. I just don't get why everything is going up so much in price. We are actively keeping our eyes and ears open for new opportunities.

Our plan was to be here 2-3 years (we just passed the 2 year mark). So I'm not feeling too bad about leaving soon. But I had hoped to leave with the feeling that I wanted to stay longer. Sadly, that's probably not the feeling I'll have when I leave.

sergio said:
How do you cope with inflation?

smoking_money.jpg

I was in italy this summer and walked around a big supermarket there comparing prices in my head. I would say, at a conservative guess, 70% of prices were cheaper than their equivalents in disco/coto...and the quality is far higher.

just today, saw large pizza (fresh, not frozen) on sale for 21 pesos...same thing would be about 15 pesos in italy and we're talking italian pizza, not something out of an industrial estate near Quilmes. Some of the prices here are just not justifiable.

15 pesos is less than 3 euros. Are you sure? Last time I was in Europe I don;t recall that kind of pricing for a pizza pie.

darmanad said:
15 pesos is less than 3 euros. Are you sure? Last time I was in Europe I don;t recall that kind of pricing for a pizza pie.

Cost in the other Palermo:
http://www.palermonighteday.it/2010/06/quanto-costa-una-pizza-a-palermo/

Mineral water: E2.5 (AR$13.50)
French Fries E2.00 (AR$11.00)
Pizza Margarita E4.00 (AR$22.00)

This is at a restaurant, not a supermarket.

Thread on the cost of a margarita pizza around Italy:
http://www.coquinaria.it/forum/show...costa-una-pizza-margherita-da-voi-in-pizzeria

I live in partly in Barcelona and Amsterdam. I'm Argentinean and have been living here for long but dot travel every 8 or 9 months to BsArs. And every time I travel to Buenos Aires I realize
1. Prices of electronica, clothes, furniture, even food is in BsArs generally more expensive. Transport is cheaper in BsArs, urban public transport and long distance transport.
2. Quality of offered goods and services in BsArs are lower.
3. There r there no long bargains-periods for clothes, electronica or whatever.

Besides, compared to other Latin American countries like Colombia, Ecuador and Peru is Argentina very expensive.

I am looking forward to being in Buenos Aires again next year - I'm not sure how I will deal with inflation - probably the same way I deal with most things - drink more Fernet :)

Back