How do you cope with inflation?

sergio

Registered
There have been a number of threads on this in the last few years. I think the situation now, however, is really quite serious. I see my health insurance close to USD $300; expensas a consideration even by US standards.....HOW are expats coping and what are your future plans?

My Argentine husband and I are sick of the constant struggle and the inability to save up any money here. We plan to leave Argentina by the end of next year and head to Botswana or Namibia for a year or two, and then back to the US.

In the meantime, we are careful with our spending, comparison shop and take advantage of credit card 'cuotas' promos (x months without interest).

mcaffa said:
My Argentine husband and I are sick of the constant struggle and the inability to save up any money here. We plan to leave Argentina by the end of next year and head to Botswana or Namibia for a year or two, and then back to the US.

In the meantime, we are careful with our spending, comparison shop and take advantage of credit card 'cuotas' promos (x months without interest).
Ok, I bitch about Argentina, but Botswana, are you kidding?

ghost said:

I know, I know. Sounds totally insane but actually, there's lots of money there and it is quite safe. My husband has much better job prospects there as a mid-hour pilot than he does in Argentina or in the US at the moment.

ghost said:

I spent alot of time in botswana with work/study, and it is a beautiful country, not cheap, but not expensive either, and very safe...

The only problems i ever had was getting some items, usually related to film equipment or computer stuff.. but a quick trip to south africa or an internet order would fixed that..

And a big thing there is anti-corruption.. When i was there the president was always going on about it, and there were posters everywhere.. And from what i saw would say it would be the least corrupt country in that part of the world !

Most of us just sit tight, bitch and I certainly always keep my eyes peeled for opportunities abroad.
Other than that, I don't think there's much anyone can "do" about it - especially those of us with Argentine families/peso jobs. There's not really any significantly cheaper places to shop, etc. I have to say though, that other than clothing (which I have bitched about on significant threads) and simply cannot afford here, this year we actually eat out a lot more...I've found that buying the produce to make a nice meal is usually more expensive than going to some of our more economical favourite restaurants. If you're going to be poor, may as well squeeze some minimum enjoyment out of it...

Ashley said:
Most of us just sit tight, bitch and I certainly always keep my eyes peeled for opportunities abroad.
Other than that, I don't think there's much anyone can "do" about it - especially those of us with Argentine families/peso jobs. There's not really any significantly cheaper places to shop, etc. I have to say though, that other than clothing (which I have bitched about on significant threads) and simply cannot afford here, this year we actually eat out a lot more...I've found that buying the produce to make a nice meal is usually more expensive than going to some of our more economical favourite restaurants. If you're going to be poor, may as well squeeze some minimum enjoyment out of it...
Okay, it is not a touristic area, but if you go shopping for groceries, at Mercado Central everything ( meat, poultry, fresh produce ) is 50% cheaper than in any supermarket or store in the city...

I've cut out a lot of superfluous things. I rarely take taxis anymore. I don't really go out that much anymore (I'll blame it on inflation but that might be age ;) ) I am cooking more at home. I wait until I'm in the US to purchase things for the apt b/c prices are better (sheets, towels, etc). Same with clothes.

I had a Medicus health plan paying AR$ 418 month, they were supposed to discount AR$100 of that because I'm a Monotrobuto, their adminstration was terrible and never got round to it, so I moved to OSPE and now pay just AR$57 a month.

We have a plan with Simeco and pay an astronomical ARS$1200 per month (2 adults)
I've had a fair few sporting accidents resulting in countless x rays etc so I have sort of got my money's worth, but now we're taking advantage of EVERYTHING we're entitled to:
Getting our teeth fixed up, new glasses and a friend of ours even had her breasts augmented totally free of charge on her private plan!

Back