How do you (expats) make friends with Portenos other than dating them and being invited into their social circle?

Definitely , Classes . Meetup. Bain Downtown, Toastmaster. Internations . But above all Dog walks

Where does one find short term classes?

That depends... What are your interests? El Rojas is generally a great place to start for everything cultural, if you want to try multiple things before going to a more specialized school or academy (for some reason their website isn't showing any courses but oh well, Argentina... You might just need to walk in and they usually have a catalogue - here's their Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/elrojasuba/). Centro Cultural San Martín is also an option but their offer is more limited: https://elculturalsanmartin.ar/cursosytalleres/

Yeah. Now they are no longer my friends, they all just ask me for money or to invest in their "proyectos"
You must be projecting wealth and priveledge . I would suggest that you project a struggling creative type and then you will make real friends in Argentina .

Look for "talleres", workshops in anything that you are interested in - zillions of them all over Buenos Aires. They are smaller than clasees - about seven to fifteen people - and often end up with a cup of coffee at the nearest confiteria.

What do like Fiscal? What do you do with friends back in the US? How did you meet? With more info we can give you better ideas. My friends, some are from school ( elementary, high school and university ) others I met taking language classrs, others I met at work, then a few online, some from clubs when I was younger,afew expats from boards, etc.

Hi Fiscal,

If you are interested in being a guest at the English speaking Buenos Aires Toastmasters Club please send me a direct message. I will send you the zoom link. A Toastmasters meeting provides an opportunity and a supportive environment to improve your public speaking, communication, and leadership skills. It is also a wonderful way to meet locals. Typically, there are about 12 to 16 people at each meeting and most of them are Argentine.

Our next meeting will be on Zoom this Thursday, August 4 at 7:30 PM.

Thanks,
Guille

Tango. I came to BA in 2012, and I was moping around for awhile because I didn't have any friends. I went to some expat events and met people that way. I took some art classes and met some more people. But it wasn't until I started dancing tango that I really started to make friends.

(And I also took a ton of Spanish classes. I would never have met any locals at all had I not devoted myself to learning Spanish.)

After being abroad for 37 years, I made a few more friends at the Italian Language school, participating in the activities of a local Italian association and travelling throughout Buenos Aires province and within the country with a local travel agency that organizes tours and visits every week.

Back