How do you get dollars in BA?

botanico said:
I thought at first your were simply being ironic, but in case your not I would refer you to the US commodities futures trading commission, which outlines nicely the regulations regarding foreign currency trading, involving registration and $20 million minimum capital. (sorry I can't post the link for you - blocked by the forum rules).

I wasnt being ironic.

The point I was making was, that any citizen or visitor who wants to purchase currency in the United States could simple go to a bureau de change.

So there is no need for a black market.

But I wasnt sure if that is actually the case, that is why I put it as a question.

It is certainly the case in the UK.

Solerboy, you can go to a bureau de change in Buenos Aires (for example in Alto Palermo Shopping). I think this thread is about the (illegal) black and blue currency market, which always develops when countries try to regulate their exchange rates. Sure, we can say that countries shouldn't do that - and they shouldn't, but Argentina has some special problems that need fixing, coming from the default (which wasn't Christina's fault) which in turn resulted from using a foreign currency - the US dollar - belonging to a country with a much stonger economy. This never works as the Greeks, Spanish and Italians are learning, yet Argentines seem to think they have a right to live in dollars, despite the damage it is causing the country. Now the government is trying to stop this, the black market is thriving.
As for the actions of expats, my point is that commiting crimes in other people's countries for one's own benefit seems to be viewed here as just fine and having no impact on the country you do it in - which I think is what those who use the sex trade in Bangkok say too!

:cool:
botanico said:
Solerboy, you can go to a bureau de change in Buenos Aires (for example in Alto Palermo Shopping). !

I can indeed go to the Bureau de Change in Alto Palermo. Its a nice walk on a sunny morning. But when I get there I cant buy any foreign currency.

The one I used in Alto Palermo has been shut for several months in fact.

The damage being caused to the country is not being caused by Argentine Citizens it is being caused by a Government who wouldn't even be elected to run a parish council in a mature democracy.

As for expats, they bring foriegn currency to the country. I doubt if there are many "first world" expats who live in Argentina without having brought some for of funding from their countries of origin.

Thanks for the update on the Alto Palermo exchange house - it was open when I was in BsAs last December. I appreciate the update.
In as much as the Argentines voted for this government I would think they ARE responsible, no? Please don't tell me they were duped - are they of lower education or intelligence than citizens of the UK, who voted for Tony Blair, followed by David Cameron!?!?!
Yes, I agree that expats and tourists bring a lot of foreign currency that could be of great value (although tourism is only 1% of the Argentine economy I believe, can't say about the expat contribution), however, if it just feeds into the parallel dollar economy it isn't helping ordinary Argentines, is it - just aiding the flight of currency and making things worse.
By the way, you may be too young to remember (and it sure doesn't get mentioned much) but I remember being in the UK in the late 60's, early 70's when Britain had currency restrictions to help its ailing economy. When you went to buy foreign currency at a bank they wrote the amount in the back of your passport and you were only allowed to change a very few pounds a year. To my knowledge there was no black market because people understood the reasons, were proud of Sterling and supportive of their (only) currency.
That is what is wrong in Argentina, the citizens don't support their own currency so tolerate inflation and bad economic policies and just work in dollars. Whatever one thinks of the government overall, to me pesification seems like a good policy and if tourists and expats wanted to help Argentina do better they would support it too and not play in the black market. Self-interest is surely not the only moral principle left?

botanico said:
...if tourists and expats wanted to help Argentina do better they would support it too and not play in the black market. Self-interest is surely not the only moral principle left?

By playing to Cristina's tune and participating in the official foreign exchange market you are only helping to prolong the pain and suffering she is bring down on all of us.

Don't you understand that this situation exists because there is runaway 30% inflation along with currency manipulation? She is trying to steal from the poorest people in this country by charging the most regressive tax of them all -- inflation. And now the official policy is to prevent people from getting foreign currencies to try and shove the inflation down their throats.

There is nothing immoral with trying to defend your savings (the fruits of your labor) from a ravenous corrupt regime that is hell bent on sucking up as much cash as possible so it can perpetuate itself in power.

The black market exists because Argentines refuse to play Cristina's game and expats should take a cue from the Argentines (when in Rome) and refuse to play the game as well.

botanico said:
In as much as the Argentines voted for this government I would think they ARE responsible, no? Please don't tell me they were duped - are they of lower education or intelligence than citizens of the UK, who voted for Tony Blair, followed by David Cameron!?!?!

I dont beleive that the Argentine people were duped or are of lower education or inteligence.

I do however think that the Argentine politiacal system is not robust enough.

The British Prime Minister is brought to the House of Commons once a week to answer for the state of their Government. When was the Argentine President last require to answer to anyone ?

Where is the effective opposition in Argentina ?

Mature countries have INDEPENDENT, Officies for National Statistics, Central Banks and tax collection agencies. Each has a narrow remit under the law and act in accordance with the law. They dont just make it up as they go along.

And most importantly, in a mature democracy there is absolute freedom of speech, the goverment should have the confidence of its convictions without the need to intimidate critics. Without robust examination of Government policy how can voters make an informed choice ?

Back