How do you get dollars in BA?

Steph170

Registered
Hi,

I need some advice as not all that clued up on the dollar/pesos crisis I realise the pesos is being devalued etc but when it comes to paying rent I need some advice.

Is it cheaper (I am from the UK) to pay 800 USD in dollars or 4800 Pesos as my landlord said to in pay either. I am presuming it is cheaper to pay 800 USD but every bank machine I have been too that offers the option of dollars won't let me take any out....

If this is a stupid question and has already been discussed I apologise but most of the posts that I have been looking at seem to be ranting and not helpful for what I want to know.

Thanks

Steph :)

Sorry, but if the quoted rent is $800 USD, in pesos it should be more like AR$3,600... s/he is trying to charge you an extortionate black-market exchange rate of 6:1 instead of the official rate of 4.5. I would insist on paying in pesos at the official rate, especially since that's what you yourself will receive when you withdraw money in pesos from local ATMs.

Your landlord sounds like what we know in Criollo as ¨pincha pelotas¨ he/she is charging you an exchange rate of 6 pesos to the dollar when the ¨official¨ rate is still around 4,5.

I'd be cautious about doing business with someone that uses the black market price to gauge what you need to pay in rent, as the black market is so wishy washy these days, this would potentially mean that your rent could vary by hundreds or even thousands of pesos every month. A few weeks ago, the dollar on the black market in the interior of the country was selling for almost 7:1, does this mean I'm going to pay my rent at an exchange of 7:1 H to the F no.

starlucia said:
Sorry, but if the quoted rent is $800 USD, in pesos it should be more like AR$3,600... s/he is trying to charge you an extortionate black-market exchange rate of 6:1 instead of the official rate of 4.5. I would insist on paying in pesos at the official rate, especially since that's what you yourself will receive when you withdraw money in pesos from local ATMs.
I agree completely. The landlord can NOT legally charge you in black market rates. She MUST accept pesos at the official exchange rate if you can not obtain the dollars. How long is your rental contract?

Don't even waste time F..ing around with this person. Simply pay her/him at the official rate and inform that you are reporting to AFIP. These people are gouging slime bags that deserve to be hounded by AFIP.

You could always tell the landlord that you went to get US$ and AFIP has asked for the DNI number of the landlord..

But i agree with everyone else, either dont rent, or use the official exchange rate. You are just being screwed..

ghost said:
Don't even waste time F..ing around with this person. Simply pay her/him at the official rate and inform that you are reporting to AFIP. These people are gouging slime bags that deserve to be hounded by AFIP.

I used to feel like that when you could get the official rate if you paid all of your taxes and worked in blanco. Now that people earning high salaries en blanco and paying every centavo of their taxes can't buy enough dollars for a cell phone I've come to recognize that the official rate is a complete fantasy rate. If nobody can buy dollars at the price, then that is not the price of the dollars and it is unreasonable to expect the owners to accept it.

To answer the OP's cuestion. I wire my money from my US account to my landlords Argentine account where, after accounting for the source of the funds (rent) and paying taxes, he has the money in dollars.

PhilipDT said:
Now that people earning high salaries en blanco and paying every centavo of their taxes can't buy enough dollars for a cell phone.

Why would anyone in Argentina need dollars to buy a cell phone?

PhilipDT said:
To answer the OP's cuestion. I wire my money from my US account to my landlords Argentine account where, after accounting for the source of the funds (rent) and paying taxes, he has the money in dollars.

Where in the US is the word question spelled with a c?

Perhaps only qurackers (from Florida) or cuakers (from Pennsylvania) would know the answer. :p

You can't withdraw dollars from an ATM unless you have a dollar account at the bank in question.

Pay your landlord in dollars. It will be a lot cheaper for you, and whilst its possible you could threaten your landlord into accepting the official exchange rate, I wouldn't ever recommend threatening your landlord (not while he has your deposit).

If you don't have any dollars you can pay people to bring them in for you. PM me if you want a contact.

If nobody can buy dollars at the price, then that is not the price of the dollars and it is unreasonable to expect the owners to accept it.

See, I don't agree... sure, no way will the landlord be able to buy dollars at the official rate, but it's certainly not the tenant's responsibility to make up the difference. These landlords chose to get into the real estate game in a country with a notoriously unstable economy and volatile currency... so, while I'm sorry that their own government is now causing them a slight loss on their investment, it doesn't give them the right to overcharge/take advantage of foreigners.

Back