How do you get your pesos into a UK bank account ?

western union is super easy. I recently sent myself 800 from my US account and it only cost me 3.00 service fee. It's cheaper than taking out money via debit card.

I have been told that HSBC here is difficult to deal with as an HSBC account holder in your home country. They work more like a franchise than a branch and thus fail to provide any service between HSBC Worldwide and HSBC Argentina.

Lala said:
You can get traveler's cheques. Banco Piano issues them, and it looks like they have a branch in Rosario. http://www.bancopiano.com.ar/sucursales.aspx That is surely the cheapest way. Also, Banco Piano will transfer the pesos to any account anywhere in the world via Money Gram for 2% commission. You do not have to have an account with Banco Piano for that either. Just show up with your passport, cash in pesos and bank info in the UK (name, address, swift code, acct #, etc).

Great, thanks for the info - 2 percent isnt that bad.

legilber said:
western union is super easy. I recently sent myself 800 from my US account and it only cost me 3.00 service fee. It's cheaper than taking out money via debit card.

It cost you $3.00 up front and a horrible exchange rate is where they make their money.

They're paying out at around 3.98 ARS to 1.00 USD, which equates to a fee about ARS90.00 in every $US1000.00 plus the $US3.00 you were charged up front.

It's great in a pinch, but it's pretty expensive, especially for large amounts. It can also be pretty dangerous for receiving money -- there's not many safe places to collect Western Union payments (unless you can find a Banco Columbia that actually has their Western Union system working).

legilber said:
The ordinary fee is 4 to 8 percent, small amount per transfer is more expensive. The fee is stepwise, so if you pick the wrong amount, it costs more. (e.g. 10,000 pesos may cost 725 pesos to transfer, 12,499 pesos also 725 pesos).

Last I used WU I transferred 19,230 pesos and it cost 853 pesos = 4,44%

ndcj said:
They're paying out at around 3.98 ARS to 1.00 USD, which equates to a fee about $US90.00 in every $US1000.00 plus ...

I don't mean to promote Wester Union, but 90 out of 1000 is 9%, 1.09 * 3.98 = 4.34. Do you get 4.34 rate from an exchange?

igor said:
I don't mean to promote Wester Union, but 90 out of 1000 is 9%, 1.09 * 3.98 = 4.34. Do you get 4.34 rate from an exchange?

Sorry, you're right, my bad. The 90 should be pesos, not dollars.

Incidentally It's possible to get pretty much around 4.20+ ARS : 1 USD at the moment selling US notes for large amounts.

I have sent money with western union, and they wanted to charge me a huge % fee from peso's to US$.. so i went and changed peso's to US$ at a bank, then transferred the US$ with western union and saved heaps.. I think from memory it was US$7 fee for US$350 - $ to $.. and the pesos to US$ was around US$40..

Travellers cheques are a good idea, i always carry then, and its usually only 1 to 1.5% fee to buy them.. i had no problems changing them in Arg, Bolivia, chile, peru, and brazil (only changed in sao paulo though)..

You could also do a telex transfer - usually they will charge a flat fee - maybe US$20 for what ever amount, similar to a bank draft, but they will charge you a commission on changing the money to your home currency.. so pays to shop around.. but i would stick to a larger international bank (hsbc/citi), and not use a local bank for this.. incase something goes wrong you can sort out from home..

Or a bank draft is another option, which you could carry around with you or post home.. not that i would trust argentina post for this.. they usually charge around $20 for the draft, and then the commission on the exchange rate.. again i would stick to an internation bank for this..

Another option is just throw a big party and spend it all here.. i am sure lots of people would like to attend.. lots of new best friends !!!!!!

davonz said:
Another option is just throw a big party and spend it all here.. i am sure lots of people would like to attend.. lots of new best friends !!!!!!

I love this idea - apart from the fact it would mean we would become completely destitute.

Back