How do you support yourself (for expats that live here)

How do you support yourself

• Don't work/Live on savings in Euros/Dollars/Etc

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Work Locally - Paid in Euros/Dollars/Etc

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • Work Locally - Paid in Pesos

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Work Remotely - Paid in Euros/Dollars/Etc

Votes: 42 39.6%
  • None of your damn business ;)

Votes: 37 34.9%

• Total voters

citygirl

Registered
I see lots of people post about how BsAs and how cheap the COL is on the Mercer COL survey. Which is true but uses as starting point a salary in dollars.

Anyway, more out of curiosity, was wondering how those that live here support themselves.

Missed one - passive income (annuities, rentals, etc). I'm trying to get to that point myself...

Good point - was kind of including that in Option 1 but should have further broken it out into those living off of passive income in pesos and/or other currencies.

It's just interesting - much higher percentage of people living on "other" currencies than I would have imagined.

As an employee here, I negotiated a salary in dollars but was always paid in the conversion rate of the day in pesos. Which would that qualify under, getting paid in dollars?

MizzMar - now you're just contemplating things:D I don't know.

The survey was more out of curiosity since I often see people post here that BsAs is still inexpensive compared to other cities and citing the Mercer COL - which uses a dollar salary as base calculation. My theory (which doesn't seem to really be holding out) was that the vast majority of expats that LIVE here have a salary that is in pesos so the cost comparison wasn't really all that valid.

I'm kinda curious about the longevity of each group. I bet that in general, expats living on foreign currency live here for more years than those who rely on savings or a local salary in pesos.

What kinds of jobs do people have that are remote and pay them in dollars/euros? (How does one get such a job!?)

When I posted for someone that might like to help me set up an insurance business (for which I have a local partner and international underwriter lined up already) I got the grand total of one reply. I can only presume teaching English must be very lucrative!!! Let's face it, insurance isn't very complicated and my proposition is to sell exactly the same insurance (to a rather specific market) at 10 - 20% less than they are already paying.....Anyone think they could do that????? Maybe its the bilingual bit that's a problem?

eva_rgentina said:
What kinds of jobs do people have that are remote and pay them in dollars/euros? (How does one get such a job!?)

Translations, web business, graphic design, web design... Well, any job that involves a PC & internet in fact.

How does one get such a job!? : being skilled (speaking 3 or 4 languages, being talented at design,..), working hard & being good at what you do ;)

citygirl said:
MizzMar - now you're just contemplating things:D I don't know.

The survey was more out of curiosity since I often see people post here that BsAs is still inexpensive compared to other cities and citing the Mercer COL - which uses a dollar salary as base calculation. My theory (which doesn't seem to really be holding out) was that the vast majority of expats that LIVE here have a salary that is in pesos so the cost comparison wasn't really all that valid.

I never made money in pesos, but due to inflation I had to change my main job/work method.

I still think that Argentina is quite cheap but that's compared to Paris (like in NYC, a small 1 bedroom is rented for 900 US$, any restaurant for two is 50 US$, etc..).
Here for 600 US$ I rent a quite big house, big pool, big park and my dogs are happy :p

Back