how easy is it to get an english language teaching job?

louisaaaaa

Registered
hi,

Was wondering if anyone could help answer a few queries.....

I'm currently living in Madrid teaching english, so i have a good level of spanish, previous english teaching experience and a TEFL. I'm thinking about the possibility of moving to buenos aires for a bit but am worried that due to the global recession jobs may be a bit scarce as it is getting harder and harder to get jobs and hours here in Spain for the same reason.

If anyone has a comments or advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

It is easy to find some work teaching English but difficult to live off of English teaching alone. Wages are low (18 pesos per hour - 27ish in Institutes) and you have to travel a lot to find sufficient hours. Have a solid savings built up before arriving because it will be months before you can earn enough to support yourself on English classes alone.

Suerte!

oxente! said:
It is easy to find some work teaching English but difficult to live off of English teaching alone. Wages are low (18 pesos per hour - 27ish in Institutes) and you have to travel a lot to find sufficient hours. Have a solid savings built up before arriving because it will be months before you can earn enough to support yourself on English classes alone.

Suerte!

Solid advice.

It took me 2-3 months to be able to live (almost) just off English classes, and that was before the crisis...things are not as easy now. You will have to change your lifestyle a LOT to live off of just teaching English here...the unfortunate truth is that to rent a room in a decent apartment in a decent neighborhood, you will be spending at least 50% of your income, and very likely much more.

Summer teaching is almost non-existent. So my schedule is just starting to fill up again. I usually make enough to pay rent, the rest comes out of savings. It ain't cheap here, contrary to what you might have heard.

louisaaaaa said:
hi,

Was wondering if anyone could help answer a few queries.....

I'm currently living in Madrid teaching english, so i have a good level of spanish, previous english teaching experience and a TEFL. I'm thinking about the possibility of moving to buenos aires for a bit but am worried that due to the global recession jobs may be a bit scarce as it is getting harder and harder to get jobs and hours here in Spain for the same reason.

If anyone has a comments or advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Have you considered the fact that Spanish in Spain is very different from Spanish in Buenos Aires? How many years have you been living in Madrid? I lived in Madrid and learned my Spanish there but was not rock solid fluent when I left. I am quite certain that it has gotten worse now adopting Argentine Spanish.

There is alot of competition for teachers teaching English in B.A. And, the pay scale is low. Buenos Aires is not an inexpensive city anymore and inflation is quite high. If you come, come with money to support yourself.

Back