How far will $1500 a month go in the interior

Some hard figures from a local version of the Wall Street Journal.
El ingreso promedio de los asalariados que tienen descuento jubilatorio fue de $37.519,
(Ambito Financiero - August 19, 2020

$37.519 pesos would be roughly U$S300 at the blue rate.

FROM: https://www.encuestasit.com/sueldo-director-administraciones-argentina-2020-461
Sample salaries - GROSS, before taxes: You do the math - blue dollar rate is $129.
43 year old ophthalmologist in Mendoza: $75,000
36 year old industrial engineer $76,000
Lawyers, average: $72,000

U$S 1,500 would be about what this guy makes, in one of BA's most expensive areas.
Director administraciones
Sueldo bruto (before taxes) : $ 180.000 (pesos, Argentina)
Edad: 53. Experiencia: 12 años Educación: Universitario completo
Lugar de trabajo: GBA Zona Norte, Argentina
Descripción: Trabajo 40 horas por semana.

A personal note. In my view, it is not good to shift people out of their comfort level – too high, or too low, regarding others in their environment. Giving your “wife” an assignment that is five times the local income would only make her a target for local sharks.

I’d suggest making her a generous allowance, for instance U$S700 ($91,000 blue rate pesos). Instead of paying her rent, buy a small house and put it in your son’s name, reserving the “usufructo” (lifetime usufruct ) for yourself. That means you retain the use of the house: which can’t be sold or rented during your lifetime, and would go to your son upon your death. This is often done here to avoid lengthy inheritance paperwork – any “escribano” can do it.

Having covered the basics, you can decide later if anything else is called for.

Last edited:
Alimony in Argentina is a bargain...
Can you expand on this, please?

Is it the legal infrastructure here for alimony that results in men getting off the hook?

I ask because I know two situations quite close to home at both ends of the scale. I know someone who divorced last year and pays enough to his ex wife that he must now live in a bedroom with his parents and gets very little spare money (he's an editor with Disney/FOX, so gets ok money too). On the other hand, I know an ex-wife who didn't get to stay in the house even though she owns half of it, and doesn't get any help towards housing (they rent the house and split it 50/50). Could this be because she simply agreed to it and didn't push to stay in the house?

Can you expand on this, please?

Is it the legal infrastructure here for alimony that results in men getting off the hook?

I ask because I know two situations quite close to home at both ends of the scale. I know someone who divorced last year and pays enough to his ex wife that he must now live in a bedroom with his parents and gets very little spare money (he's an editor with Disney/FOX, so gets ok money too). On the other hand, I know an ex-wife who didn't get to stay in the house even though she owns half of it, and doesn't get any help towards housing (they rent the house and split it 50/50). Could this be because she simply agreed to it and didn't push to stay in the house?
It has to do with the law, corruption, economy but most of all it has to do with people getting into personal wars instead of thinking that their children did not get to choose. Give them the same ( if not better ) life in terms of money and emotionally that you have.... they are YOUR children. It is not charity, or funny games. If you need a judge to come and tell you what your kids are entitled to based on what you have or earn, you are not a fit parent. Doesn't matter if you live in the interior, the US, Arg, Italy, Colombia, etc, do you put prices on your kids?

It has to do with the law, corruption, economy but most of all it has to do with people getting into personal wars instead of thinking that their children did not get to choose. Give them the same ( if not better ) life in terms of money and emotionally that you have.... they are YOUR children. It is not charity, or funny games. If you need a judge to come and tell you what your kids are entitled to based on what you have or earn, you are not a fit parent. Doesn't matter if you live in the interior, the US, Arg, Italy, Colombia, etc, do you put prices on your kids?
Most people need to be ordered by a judge because they can't be objective.

I live in the interior and you can live for under that but the quality of the building you'll be in is pretty low.

If you live very very simply you could probably do it. I don't know if you would want to though

Some women I know chose to walk away with almost nothing rather than waste a year of their lives fighting their former husbands.
The reverse is also true, men cut their losses and walk away from women empty handed (The children come under a very tight grip! It's really the only spoil of war worth having.) as well. Nothing but time wasted and children given someone else's values. Frustration from a different point of view.

Back