How many intensive care beds are there in Buenos Aires ?

perry

Registered
This topic is of great interest to me and I am having problems in finding out the exact number . I believe that there are close to 7.000 intensive care beds in public hospitals in Buenos Aires of these close to 50 % are occupied at all times . For private hospitals I do not have the number . The USA has 45,000 intensive care beds as per this article and would be swamped in a crisis . For those who mentioned Italy and its medical system they have 3.2 intensive care beds per person and the USA has only 2.8 beds per person .

I appreciate if a member would get me more accurate information.

From New York Times

The novel coronavirus could result in 10 million to 34 million hospital visits, based on statistics from other countries, according to the Harvard Global Health Institute. About one-fifth of those patients will require intensive care. With 2.8 hospital beds per 1,000 people, the United States has fewer than Italy’s 3.2 beds per 1,000, China’s 4.3 and South Korea’s 12.3.

The estimated 45,000 intensive care unit beds in the United States would be swamped by even a moderate outbreak of about 200,000 in need of I.C.U. admission.

Heard in the news that the Garrahan Hospital is already swamped running Coronavirus tests, this hospital is the leading central facility for tests . Additional kits for test may arrive end of March?

Heard in the news that the Garrahan Hospital is already swamped running Coronavirus tests, this hospital is the leading central facility for tests . Additional kits for test may arrive end of March?

Already starting to be over run and it has not even started yet oh my heart grieving information.

The only facility that is currently running the tests is Instituto Malbran. The govt will add 30 more test labs in the coming days. AFAIK Garrahan is not running tests.

Perry, There are close to a total of 3679 beds in the city's public hospitals for acute patients ( adults ) and 531 beds in the city's children's hospitals.

ICU beds for adults in the city 1196 between public and private hospitals.
ICU pediatric 418 in the city btw public and private hospitals.

In the city 82% of the health facilities are private.

Overall Argentina has 3.56 beds per 1000 people. WHO recommends 8-10 beds per 1000 people.

icu-beds.jpg

This is based on a model for the USA.

Greater Buenos Aires population is about 20 times less then total USA population.
Assuming the same model is applicable (which is not necessarily the case), for moderate scenario

10,000 people will be needing ICU. (Not at the same time, during the development of the outbreak).

The only facility that is currently running the tests is Instituto Malbran. The govt will add 30 more test labs in the coming days. AFAIK Garrahan is not running tests.
Sorry was a misquote it's the Malbran... However the new test kits are supposed to arrive in March?

Back