How many of you want to leave Bs As?

citygirl said:
Oh my little dictator, I assure you that people in NY get to the office early. Anytime after 8:30 will get you a raised eyebrow. Norm is btwn 7:30 and 8 - earlier if you are doing anything with the markets. You get there early and you stay late. I used to work from 7 until 7 pretty much every day + a weekend day (and of course you are eating lunch at your desk)

My Investment Banker friend and my advertising friend were probably outliers.

Investment Banker friend (between college & his MBA) would usually leave the office at 2:00am and most assuredly was not arriving back in the office before 10am.

My advertising friend was more of a 9:00am-er, but he could have been fibbing.

I'm tired.

I live in BA for 5 months of the year(mostly Summer months). I love the atmosphere of the city and do not work here. I have many friends here and also alot of family. Over the last eight years, the first thing that you notice is that the prices are out of control. In the years before the devaluation, the prices were awful, but now they are inching up to unreasonable standards.
I find the prices of services and food of much more value in the States right now. I still find value here for the places where I mostly frequent.
However, I completely understand many of the posts here where people are working here or trying to survive on a fixed income. Iam positive that it's frustrating to see them raise prices on basic commodities or replacing exisitng items which were purchased much cheaper.
Iam sure that I will continue visiting here each year, because of family and friends. However, I understand many people's frustrations.

I find it surprising that:

- there seems to be a steady flow of especially first world English native speakers who make the jump. Eventhough most of the first world is in recession or in economic hardship. It seems to me people are more likely to move when things are going well
- affordability of living here on a fixed income went down quite a lot since 2008
- people stay only 12/18 months at the most

Still Argentina surprises me

There are more than a few of us who hope that it will become more affordable again as things do historically go in cycles. Nothing (except perhaps time itself) goes in one direction forever.

MatiArg said:
Hello! I love Buenos Aires but some mornings i want to wake up and shoot everyone. My family is from Mendoza and hate Buenos Aires and Portenos. I moved here from Florida because Orlando sucks. People from Florida are nice but people from NY are assholes. Whenever i get sick of BA im leaving. Watch video below. Best of luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAmioqK-iW4

New Yorkers from the island aren't assholes, can't vouch for LI or Jersey though;)

Lived on long island most of my life.
mmm , hate to admit it , but ya , we can be assholes.
I also lived on Fire Island .
Ever wonder where hillbillies come from ? Its the fire isand 'yearounders.
Its so friggen scarry , they are all cousins

There are more than a few of us who hope that it will become more affordable again

Are you planning to work in a job with a strong local union? Because if what you want is for the economy to go down the toilet so you can buy more steaks and wine with your dollars, I will show you the door of the country so you can safely get out before living in disappointment.

marksoc said:
Are you planning to work in a job with a strong local union? Because if what you want is for the economy to go down the toilet so you can buy more steaks and wine with your dollars, I will show you the door of the country so you can safely get out before living in disappointment.
How do you leap from an improvement in inflation to the economy going "down the toilet"?

I came to BsAs back in January of 2011 with the intention of staying three months and then heading somewhere else. BsAs was definitely one of the most frustrating places I had been to on all my travels, mainly due to the cultural differences the difficulty in getting basic things done. That said, I slowly got accustomed to the city, to the lifestyle, figured things out, and made a lot of friends. When I left after three months, I was happy to be leaving but knew there were many aspects of the culture that I would miss. So, I'm heading back for another two month visit again at the end of April.

I definitely didn't find that BsAs was a cheap city when I was there, nor did one of my Irish friends who I met there. It was still cheaper than Vancouver or Dublin (where he was from), but the value is far far less for most items (such as food) than the equivalent dollar would buy back home I found. I'm sure there are those that would disagree, and that's fine. But that was my impression.

That said, I miss being able to go out at 11pm and find something to do, or people to do something with. I also miss many of the friends I met in the city, and even the pizza! I don't think I could live in BsAs long term, but I did enjoy my three months there and am looking forward to going back for a while again.

surfing said:
There are more than a few of us who hope that it will become more affordable again as things do historically go in cycles. Nothing (except perhaps time itself) goes in one direction forever.

It will only become cheaper / less inflation

- subsidies get cut
- local salaries go down
- people stop consuming
- Argentines renting before moving back home, expats stop coming to BA

Recession and mass lay-offs would make things go faster but hopefully that is not happening.

A major drought or natural disaster would be à disaster for the governability of the State and for all people that get paid by the state

Back