How many of you want to leave Bs As?

I've made a number of posts about my life in the province and why I love it, but I know they might be difficult to find even if you use the search feature of the forum.

The people here are very different from many (if not most) of their fellow countrymen in Capital Federal.

They are far more relaxed, much more friendly, and, in their own words, live by a "code" that they acknowledge is far less common in the Capital.

What makes me happy is living in the country in my own home with my dogs and enough land to have a garden, a small orchard, and livestock (chickens and horses), but I can easily drive to Walmart (in a city of over 300,000) in about 20 minutes.

Another town of almost 70,000 inhabitants is less than ten minutes in the opposite direction and there are five mini-marts (with competitive prices and super friendly owner-operators) within one KM of my house.

And properties here (including lots in the one barrio privado) still cost much less than in or anywhere near the Capital.)

I love it here so much I now want to become a citizen of Argentina, and that's not something I was considering when I lived in Capital Federal.

i may have already responded to this thread (there are so many threads i see like this) but i love my life here, i don't ask much from bsas and bsas doesnt ask much from me. i work online, love my apt, have a good group of friends, keep active w/ baseball and basketball, and am having the time of my life. Spanish lessons are going good, love the sunny weather, cant wait for spring, and will really miss it once I decide to leave.

I've been living here in the ciudad for a little over a year and the honeymoon was well over by the third month. My husband was born and raised here but after working for 5 years in NY he does agree with me that this is not the ideal place to live. Cost of living, food and clothing is very high. I think that living in the city is highly stressful also due to the smog, traffic, general crowdedness and the poop everywhere. This is enough to make me on edge whenever I step out my door. The first time I went to my supermarket on the weekend the line was 15 people deep and saw two women slapping each other, one of them was holding a baby! Same store, same day - two men fighting over Tang!
Anyway, I've been working on my exit strategy and hopfully we will be back in the USA or Europe by next year sometime (fingers and toes crossed).
BTW - This past weekend we went out into the country, Uribelarrea, and it was absolutely beautiful. They have a nice artisinal beer bar and good restaurant that I just forgot the name of...I'll edit this post when I remember it.

NYKate said:
I think that living in the city is highly stressful also due to the smog, traffic, general crowdedness and the poop everywhere. This is enough to make me on edge whenever I step out my door. The first time I went to my supermarket on the weekend the line was 15 people deep and saw two women slapping each other, one of them was holding a baby! Same store, same day - two men fighting over Tang!

Life in the city can make you crazy
For sounds of the sand and the sea
Life in a high rise can make you hungry
For things that you can't even see

John Denver, from the song Fly Away

Thank God I'm (now) a country boy!

Though I still wonder what kind of sound sand makes...

steveinbsas said:
I love it here so much I now want to become a citizen of Argentina, and that's not something I was considering when I lived in Capital Federal.

It sounds lovely.

One of the things I really do miss is being out in nature. I am by no means an outdoors person. Not hiking tall mountains or white water rafting for me.

But I really do miss the sights and sounds of nature. I liked it before moving here, but only now after living in this city for 2 years do I realize how much I appreciate it.

The most relaxed I've been in the last two year was taking a nap on a deserted beach in Colonia the last time we went over. All we could hear was the winds and the waves.

There sure is nothing like that in BA.

In B.A. I have met several British long-term expats, some as happy as clams in B.A. It also seems like on this site the Brits have a more positive feelings towards B.A. whereas I have never met a long-term American expat (over 5 years). Am I imagining something or do other people see the same thing.

va2ba said:
It sounds lovely.

It really is. Thank you.

va2ba said:
One of the things I really do miss is being out in nature. I am by no means an outdoors person. Not hiking tall mountains or white water rafting for me.

Those activities are not required to be an outdoor person. I work outdoors about five hours a day (on average), but it's not very strenuous and certainly not dangerous (unless I trip and fall into the cement pond).

Philsword said:
In B.A. I have met several British long-term expats, some as happy as clams in B.A. It also seems like on this site the Brits have a more positive feelings towards B.A. whereas I have never met a long-term American expat (over 5 years). Am I imagining something or do other people see the same thing.

I was never unhappy in Capital Federal.

But after four years I knew what I wanted and found it (my house) on line.

deeve007 said:
Have you liked in the UK? If so, you would understand why. ;)

How does one "liked" in the UK?

I visited once (for a week), but I didn't like it.

Back