How many of you want to leave Bs As?

Drinks/going out is definitly not going up 30% a year nor going to the movies

Things i do more often use then the average argentine

Entertainment like going out, eating out, going to the movies probally doubled since 2005, most other products other then public transport, utilities and rents tripled

Napoleon said:
Ben,

How has the inflation affected your life in the suburbs?

Does it hit there as hard as it hits in La Capi?

like most of the country i imagine, some things cant be gotten cheaper

however, you adapt to the environment whenever possible instead of steaks from disco, local butchers do probably better and cheaper stuff

e.g. 1 kg of jamon natural (the best ham i have ever tasted !) 23 pesos,

you need a slicer though :)

mandolesi (ruta 8 and sante fe, bella vista)

also, the owner is a personal friend and gives it to me even cheaper

recommendable to anyone who likes pork related grub

also, being self employed, I can raise my fees to try to keep up with inflation

cheers

ben

El chabon said:
Drinks/going out is definitly not going up 30% a year

I disagree.

For example, in the past 4 months, Sugar has raised beer prices twice. Up 40%. IN 4 MONTHS.

Other places I frequent, even restaurants, have had similar increases.

Great read.. Argentinians are not so rude, they just do not buy into our very formal way of doing things, and why should they? While they are not of my culture, I have found them to be very friendly and even protective when they find out I am not from here. Which is more than I can say for the average American in say NY or LA.

Further, with such outstanding educations, most of you should have at least some capacity to understand this place. Decades and decades of poverty and a lack of education. While we have enjoyed the best of these things. Sadly, while we have meddled with countries such as Argentina.

And if you have been here some time you will notice that things are changing and getting better they are progressing quickly. Maybe not as quickly as you would like but it is improving. Many things we are accustomed to are new here, this is a young democracy and it will take some time.

Long lines, insane inflation, annoying rudeness, power outages and the internet is not working again, I know all about it. Asados, good friends, good wine and we are not invading yet another country.. priceless!

El chabon said:
Sugar is not exactly Argentina. Its basically à place for Americans who dont know where to go

:rolleyes:

Just used it as an example of rising prices. Seen it in plenty of other non-gringo bars.

It's funny how most expats post about how negative life in Arg has become...not even for them, but for their significant others.

I had a 6 month plan here but now have been here for 2.5 years with another 2 years to go since I'm studying in UBA now. You're all right about life changing...being in the school system here sometimes seems like a joke...who has to wait 6 months for a grade on a paper? And who has to wait an indefinite time for the date of the defense of their thesis (over a year)? And who has to wait over a year for paperwork for a visa?

My situation is also different in that my significant other is from another first world country. We both left our countries for new experiences in the world and are met with stupid headaches in a country that, yes, doesn't seem to care about its own people. 150% inflation for the subte? Daily inflation in grocery stores? I don't know about you, but you would think my pay would go up being an English teacher...no....we are still exploited in just the same way, where out of my 60 pesos, they take 40% from me and people just don't have the money anymore to pay for classes.

An expat friend of mine who is a travel blog writer recently left and her reasons were: being cat called by men who think they're all that when they aren't, constantly; garbage (she posted a picture of a mattress in a hole on the street with a beer can on it...this was in palermo); lack of culinary diversity (she was a vegetarian) and amongst other things, she had her residency but still had to pay everything like a tourist.

The fact that we can't buy or sell dollars is a nightmare when all our tourist rents are in dollars. The other day, we were going to pay our psycho landlady the peso equivalent according to the currency exchange online and she magically showed up saying we had to pay her 200 pesos more than what it said...for some bullshit reason...highway robbery.

The instability of this country is making it suffer. The fact that the government and officials do nothing to help its people is blatantly obvious. The nervousness of its people can be felt daily and frankly, it makes me nervous thinking of what could happen here... (another crash??)

I think it's sad that us expats can't stick around here...and even though right now, the laws are still lax about us staying here every 3 months and popping over to Uruguay, how long until they tell us we have to leave? They may want our money, but they want too much...so much that we can't stay because then we sink into an Argentine pit of moaning, groaning, and complaining and not being able to make ends meat to match the skyrocketing prices.

All in all...I hope to god I get my masters and get the hell out...who knows, maybe I won't finish it because the paperwork won't come in!

Thanks for the meat, thanks for the spanish, but I didn't come here for an expat world...I came here for an Argentine one, and now that I'm in it, I can't handle it nor accept it and neither should they!

Suerte!
Jojo

Ah the BA world.. been there a few times. I do not like BA for more than 3 or 4 day visist, so perhaps that is what this thread really comes down to... outside of BA there is another Argentina. An Argentina with humble caring human beings that have honor and are fun to be with and around...good honorable sincere kind hearted people. DO NOT judge Argentina based on BA... you will be in error.

tomdesigns said:
Ah the BA world.. been there a few times. I do not like BA for more than 3 or 4 day visist, so perhaps that is what this thread really comes down to... outside of BA there is another Argentina...
DO NOT judge Argentina based on BA...
you will be in error.

You know, the website is called BAEXPATS.

Back