How much do you tip at cafes and restaurants?

If that were my criteria, I would never leave a tip.
So may be you shouldn't tip then. I am a local and my local friends think I leave too much tip and they wouldn't hesitate NOT to leave a tip if they don't feel they are served like they expect it.

To not be rude in return for good service, drop 15%. If you spontaneously decide to go to a restaurant that requires a reservation, and you expect to be seated, you need to grease some palms. I am fortunate in that I can afford to treat people well and I do. The other point to consider is, are the tips shared and does the owner or manager get a cut? Regardless, it's always a good idea; especially abroad, to treat others well. The proverbial Golden Rule is a good one to follow anywhere on the planet. Good luck.
Tips are usually not shared by restaurant staff in this country so you have to make sure you tip the right person.

Plus 10 percent tax plus 20 percent tip not including drinks.

Thanks Sergio, won't visit Le Bernardin soon..! will rather indulge here on a US$50 dinner, if can spend that much $17,500 pesos..? at Marcelo ? Where is the most expensive resto here? I wonder? Without Drinks? No Veuve Clicquot..! or Château D'Yquem.

20210704_161602.jpg

A quick diversion over the river: I'm going to be in Montevideo tomorrow - is tipping etiquette more or less the same as here or do they do things differently over there?

A quick diversion over the river: I'm going to be in Montevideo tomorrow - is tipping etiquette more or less the same as here or do they do things differently over there?
The difference is that if you pay by card at restaurants, bars, etc. they will usually ask you if they should include a 10% tip directly on your card charge.

The difference is that if you pay by card at restaurants, bars, etc. they will usually ask you if they should include a 10% tip directly on your card charge.
Thanks! I hadn't read this until now but, at lunch today in MVD I paid the bill by card and tipped the waitress 10% and everyone was happy. Especially me because (top tip coming up....) if you pay with a foreign bank card IVA should be deducted automatically and the deduction shown on the card receipt.

Back