How much do you tip at cafes and restaurants?

How does one rate "Good Service" for a cup of coffee ??. Time delay, glass of soda water, prompt bill presentation..? Quality not mentioned? I can't remember when I had good espresso here!
For example, when I was ignored by waiters during a long time in which I was trying to request something or ask for the bill, I left ZERO tip.

Isn't tipping over 10% a way of imposing US cutlure on Argentina? Few Argengtines can afford to tip a lot. Why raise expectations to a level that is beyond reality for Argentina? Isn't it better to adapt to local customs?

Isn't tipping over 10% a way of imposing US cutlure on Argentina? Few Argengtines can afford to tip a lot. Why raise expectations to a level that is beyond reality for Argentina? Isn't it better to adapt to local customs?

What is the local custom of tipping %?

10% for good service is the norm. Less if the service was poor.
When the price of breakfast was $200 or less one would leave $20 willingly. Now that breakfast is over $800 some waiters expect $100 if no change is available .. true

What would people do if it were 1 peso 1 dollar? I remember that very well. That may not recur but the rate may not always be so favorable to expats with hard currency. Would you tip as generously as some people here say they do? Also if you are earning pesos, you think in pesos and not in USD blue exchange rates. That makes you be more cautious I think. A problem of tipping significantly above the local norm is that it can create expectations that locals can't live up to. I do agree that people who leave a pittance after an expensive meal are mean-spirited.

Back