How much for a bag of laundry?

Hi Celia

I always take the my husband`s suits to a lavanderìa on Carlos Calvo between Virrey Ceballos and Solis Iam sure they are not expensive they are Korean I will ask next time how much they are charging for a big bag
Reina

Hi Celia
The laundry is on Carlos Calvo between Virrey Cevallos and Soliz at one block from Entre Rios I think too far for you, they charge the bag 10 pesos I was passing by today and I asked how much they charge!
Reina

Yea, Celia, you are right that 15 for ONE bag is way over the market price for Constitucion, but not if your clothes fit in two bags. I live fairly close by.

There is a place near me in Balvanera we used to go to and it is 8 pesos/bag. Let me count the reasons to live in cheaper neighborhoods! She is on Chile between Pasco and Rincon if you are in the area. Totally trustworthy and nice. I loved that lady...until we got our machine! If you live near the Facu de Medicina, I have a friend from Taiwan who has a lavadero at Boulogne Sur Mer at the corner of Viamonte I believe. They have never washed MY clothes, but he is one of the nicest people in real life I have ever met!! So I would totally trust him with my dirty laundry, so to speak! haha!

Still, the bags in every place are pretty small. They only fit a couple jeans maybe 3 shirts some underwear and socks, no more than a weeks worth of clothes if you reuse pants and not including towels. It´s not normal to charge more for sheets in my experience but any kind of heavier bed clothes like alcolchado-bed comforters or blankets and also heavy coats, they always have a different price for because they are harder on their machines. Still, even though they do all the laundry FOR me, it felt like a ripoff to pay more for laundry here than a US laundrymat per month. Plus, I would rather do my own clothes!

Celia, OJO! You also don't want to fight too much with your lavadero or you can check them off as a place that will treat you right in the future! They certainly don't have to stuff a bag just to save you money. The bags do seem to hold little. And that is not fair to them who run a business to squeeze more out. But it is ALSO certainly not fair to you for them to fluff the laundry. Professional lavaderos know how to fold the sheets and towels and whatnot so they best flatten in the bag to fit more clothes.

Because all Argentines have suffered from 30% annual inflation so you can't make comparisons even back a few years. If you use 2005 as your benchmark, you will ALWAYS feel like you are getting screwed!

We got a big black bag we used to use for laundry. We knew that it would be exactly two bags of laundry when full. We brought that bag every time full of laundry as a way to do price control.

My local lavadero In Flores charges 9 pesos per bag. Was eight up until a few months ago. Quiet often I take a huge sports bag and let the lady sort it out - she charges me according to the number of freshly laundered bags she ends up with - sometimes 3 or 4 and occasioanlly she will charge me for half a bag if there is not a lot of stuff. She really plays fair but sometimes her Korean husband tries it on.

I don't think I'm cheating them emilyr, they tried to charge me for two loads but the second bag they returned to me only had 5 items in it!!! Overall it works out at a peso an item (including smalls)...will look around for a better deal.

dont worry! I was not accusing you of cheating them. I totally believe you with some experiences I have had. I just wanted to make sure and clarify that the bags are kinda small, like someone said a large grocery bag because it is hard to explain the situation via online forum!

So I say, DEFINITELY look for a better deal. Sometimes, I find it helps to ask in advance in a very nice but clear way how much is in a bag of laundry and whether they charge full price for an additional bag if you have a few extra items that do not fill up a second or third bag.

The thing is, if it's more than 1 bag (even if the 2nd is *really* small), they're going to charge you full price for 2 bags. Just because there isn't much in the 2nd bag, it still takes up a machine to wash the 2nd load and costs them the same amount in electrictiy, etc. So they'll charge you full price.

Best is to develop a relationship with your lavadero. I usually bring in a bunch to the Laundry Company every two or three weeks and then they just tell me how many bags I had when I pick it up. Extra nice with his company, you can buy the book of tickets in advance.

Back