How much is the Arg. peso really worth?

In Uruguay, it takes 275 pesos argentinos to buy a single US dollar. Makes one wonder how much the peso is really worth.
The BROU buys Arg. pesos for 0.16 Uruguayos, and sells them for 0.62 - that's a hair-rising spread.

I'd assume part of it is due to the restriction on travel at the moment and the money changers will probably be stuck with the physical pesos for some time. They need to take in account possible future movements of the ever decreasing value of the peso.

Jblaze, if you go to Uruguay they'll give you 1 dollar for 275 pesos, not the other way around.

It must be a very small market because you would want to be stupid to go to Uruguay with argentine pesos in cash (or anywhere else in the world) or have some sort of emergency situation where all your cards are not working. Any person who deals in cash, would change pesos in cash to USD via a cueva or what ever source they have before going to uruguay.

This. This is an indicator of something, but not of very much.

Back in the day, some associates of mine took a couple hundred thousand pesos with them to the US, looking for suckers who would exchange them at the legal rate.
It took some traveling, but they managed to get rid of them.

I paid for my vehicle inspection in the states with a 1k pesos bill. The guy thought it looked cool and accepted it for the 8 dollars I owed him for the inspection. At the time it was worth about 10 dollars.

A two-hundred peso bill is still worth something. Perfect tip for those ML delivery guys, unfailingly polite and cheerful - a joy to do business with.

This. This is an indicator of something, but not of very much.

Back in the day, some associates of mine took a couple hundred thousand pesos with them to the US, looking for suckers who would exchange them at the legal rate.
It took some traveling, but they managed to get rid of them.

from my experience with pesos outside of argentina: In morocco a few years ago, farmers selling strawberrys on the street while negotiating prices spotted what they thought were "dollars" in our pockets, which were in fact argentine pesos, which we offered to them. they each looked at the notes, saw argentina, and burst into laughter and said no. Although in Fez, those who harass the tourists pretending to be guides would accept pesos to go away.

with all the negative international press of failed IMF programs, defaults etc you would be very very "brave" to try your luck and repeat.

Back