How much more are you paying for your health (prepaga) insurance?

I believe the law prohibited increases beyond the normal % that is charged to everyone, i.e. they could not double or more your fees just because you reached 65
That was the case but they changed the law some years ago and it became allowed. Some contracts have this clause and it has been considered legal.

That was the case but they changed the law some years ago and it became allowed. Some contracts have this clause and it has been considered legal.
I see. So nowadays how much do the fees go up at age 65? 100% 200% More?

I see. So nowadays how much do the fees go up at age 65? 100% 200% More?
sergio,

you can request a copy of your medical insurance contract. Most likely, there is a progressive scale described there.

Swiss Medical gang. I'm a single male in my 40s. Six months ago my bill was 52k, and this month it's 160k, for an increase of over 300% in that period of time. Adjusting for inflation by looking at the equivalent price in dollars at the blue rate at the time of each bill, the increase works out to 234%.

This thread is scary. What are people doing if they retire in BA on a fixed income and these costs are tripling.

Last edited:
This thread is scary. What are people doing if they retire in BA on a fixed income and these costs are tripling.
This is the risk of retiring in an unstable country. There were never any guarantees that prices would remain low.

Have the costs really tripled though? I'm paying 4 times in pesos what I was paying in November 2022 for the basic, but the blue has more than tripled over the period (and, for a time, had quadrupled). It's more expensive, but not 3 times more expensive.

Have the costs really tripled though? I'm paying 4 times in pesos what I was paying in November 2022 for the basic, but the blue has more than tripled over the period (and, for a time, had quadrupled). It's more expensive, but not 3 times more expensive.
The point is that they've gone up rapidly.

The point is that they've gone up rapidly.
Lately they have. The point is we forget that before that they dropped considerably. The rate rises were controlled during almost all of 2023 while the blue skyrocketed. In my particular case, the basic was costing me almost half in dollars in September 2023 compared to November 2022. Some corrections favor us, for a while. Some go against us, hopefully just for a while (though that might not be the case this time.)

Back