How much to survive 3 months?

Slopey said:
I've been looking for an apartment this week, and the prices are making me hyperventilate. They are at least 20% higher than they were the last time I looked, which was only 3 months ago. I used to rent a nice 1 bedroom for 600 USD.
Now all I can find for that price are 23 m2 studios with beds that fold up into the wall, in one of the surrounding barrios that are being palmed off as Palermo.
What just happened?!

not all rates have gone up, I haven't put my rates up in the last 18 months: www.stayba.com

Slopey said:
I've been looking for an apartment this week, and the prices are making me hyperventilate. They are at least 20% higher than they were the last time I looked, which was only 3 months ago. I used to rent a nice 1 bedroom for 600 USD.
Now all I can find for that price are 23 m2 studios with beds that fold up into the wall, in one of the surrounding barrios that are being palmed off as Palermo.
What just happened?!

For one thing, "espensas" just shot up.

A friend of mine bought an apartment in Palermo in November. The espenses for October were $500 pesos.

In January they were $920 and there was no single, extraordinary cost increase, though the porteros might have received their annual "bonus" in that month (and did get a 20% salary increase recently as well).

Nonetheless, the espensas for December were well over $800 (before the salary increase and the bonuses).

Anybody want to buy a PH (sin espenses)?

If so, please contact Pericles.

I'm moving to the coast.

With that kind of prices there will soon even be more oversupply of temporary rentals

Which in turn leads to lower prices for me :)

Slopey - if you're here for a long period of time, you can always negotiate with the landlord. However, finding a 1 BR for 600? I've not seen anything in that price range. Most 1 BRs I see are in the 700-1000 range (and more for an apt in a building with great amenities).

And yes, expenses are going up a lot, so rental costs are as well. That's what a 30% inflation rate will do. (or 10% according to Cristina ;) )

I actually managed to find a nice studio for 500 USD in September and a 1 BR for 620 in January, both in Palermo. But it took days of hunting and emailing and I guess I can't be three-times-lucky.

I notice the inflation every time I'm in the supermarket - the price of something or the other in my cart is always higher than it was the week before. But I guess it's just a bit startling when you see it for the first time on the big-priced things.

25% and 50%(excluding extra cost) more then the 400 dollar target

I am still waiting for the 400 dollar apparments :)

Futboljunkie said:
River Plate Platea Centenario 100 peso
River Plate museum and stadium tour 40 peso
Night out at Sunset(Entrance, 2 beers, taxi back home) 100 peso
Dinner with a beautifull lady in an upscale restaurant 150 peso
Movies with a less beautifull lady and popcorn and 2 cokes 60 peso
2 beers and a burger at Alamo 50 peso
Dinner at a shopping alone 30 peso
Tennis game with fellow expat 40 peso
Going bowling with some friends you just met 60 peso

630 peso or 162 dollar

How do you spend the remaining 138 dollar in the 2 weeks untill the month is over?

HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!! FUNNY! I love it!! :D

Back