How not to stand out like a tourist

JoeBlow

Registered
Don't smile at people you don't know.
Don't say hi to people you don't know.
Don't say hi more than once a day to acquaintances you pass in buildings/on the street.
Don't eat while walking around the city.
Don't expect free water at a restaurant.
Don't ask for ice in your soft drinks.
If cooking, open windows so the "food smell" goes a away.
If there's a "food smell", spray something to get rid of it.
If the "food smell" is tangarines or oranges....well, just eating them in front of anybody but close family or friends gives you away as a foreigner.
Don't say "gracias" all the freakin time.
Don't wear a baseball cap unless you're going to get fully decked-out in yankee paraphanelia.
Don't look disheveled unless it's very well thought-out first.
Don't expect a woman on the street or one you haven't been formally introduced to look at you (unless you're really hot or are wearing nice clothes or are famous or look like a foreigner).
Don't ask out a woman on the street or one you haven't been formally introduced to (unless you're really hot (etc) or are prepared to do a mind-numbing amount of bullshitting).
Don't make conversation for no reason with strangers.
Don't act like a big softie.
Brush your teeth 3 times a day.
Plan on of taking your kids to DisneyWorld.
Think people from the US love DisneyWorld.
Learn how to save face gracefully. Not yours, but other peoples'. Giving a blunt no doesn't go over as smoothly as it does in the US.
Be cool and loyal to people you have formally been introduced to.
Don't be anal.
Repeat frequently how cold people are in the US.
Repeat frequently how hard it is to learn Spanish.
Repeat (albeit incorrectly) that Spanish has more words than any other language.
Repeat, whenever possible, supposed Argentine inventions: the ballpoint pen, dulce de leche, empanadas, milanesas, public buses, and the latest I heard, telos (pay by the hour motels).
Tell people how good the meat is here.
Consider people from the US culturally illiterate, brain-washed and junk-food eating.
Be trendy.
Like the Ramones, Rolling Stones, CCR, or Beattles.
Put your age and picture on your resume.
Don't be overweight.
Don't worry about saying excuse me to people you bump into while walking.
Drive within inches of pedestrians.
Love Brazil.
Talk about how easy it is to understand Portuguese.
Dream of going to Western Europe.
Get your EU citizenship.

this is hilarious! you forgot another argentine (not) invention that everybody is very proud of: alpargatas.

Spot on! Except for the not making conversation with strangers for no reason. I've found quite the opposite is true. Waiting for the bus, waiting in line at the supermarket...people never miss a chance to complain to the person ahead of/behind them about the buses or how long they've been waiting in line!

Also, if you need to ask someone on the street where a street is or where a certain address is, they'll never just give a simple "No, i don't know" or "yes, it's here," they will launch into a long, elaborate explanation of why they don't know or where the place is and how to get there.

JoeBlow said:
Learn how to save face gracefully. Not yours, but other peoples'. Giving a blunt no doesn't go over as smoothly as it does in the US.
Like the Ramones, Rolling Stones, CCR, or Beattles.

Your list is so right on!

The only one I have no personal experience with is the first quoted. I actually love the bluntness here and have found things to be quite the opposite. But I am mainly exposed to porteños 30 and under, so perhaps it's generational. Just one example of many, my students had no qualms about telling me straight out how boring or useless they thought a lesson was. It's not seen as rude at all--it's honest. Oh, and if that dress really does make you look fat, well, if you ask you will be told the truth. I love it!

And for the music--Don't forget Nirvana and Pearl Jam! Sometimes it's like the 90s never ended. :p

And don't hydrate. It's nigh impossible to carry around a large water bottle without some local acquaintance commenting, "WOW, you drink a lot of water!!"

[quote name='Don'tMindMe']
The only one I have no personal experience with is the first quoted. I actually love the bluntness here and have found things to be quite the opposite. Just one example of many, my students had no qualms about telling me straight out how boring or useless they thought a lesson was. It's not seen as rude at all--it's honest. Oh, and if that dress really does make you look fat, well, if you ask you will be told the truth. I love it! [/QUOTE]

You are absolutely right. Sometimes Spanish speakers are terribly straightforward --I remember the same thing happening in Spain just as you mention it does here.

There are circustances when saving face does seem to work differently though. I'll have to give some thought to when it is not ok to give a blunt "no" while it would be in the US.

the expression for "no" is to slightly grin while twitching your face in fake sympathy and insinuating that whatever is being asked is "dificil"

Back