How Safe Is Ba Tap Water ???

Some of you may not know this, but in Buenos Aires, Capital Federal, and a good part of the Conurbano, there are NO reservoirs. Water comes directly from el Río de la Plata and is purified using one of the most advanced water purification plants in all of South America.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crZ489mg8zY

Yes I had read that somewhere, but evidently not advanced enough to remove whatever contaminant that keeps the water brown.

Yes I had read that somewhere, but evidently not advanced enough to remove whatever contaminant that keeps the water brown.

I'd say that would be the pipes in your building. My current apartment and my previous one have had nice clear water, even when filling a bathtub (i.e., enough volume to see the color if not much).

The tap water in this city is arsenic free, less that 10 ppm of nitrates, kh 1.5, low ca and mg, po4 free.

I'd say that would be the pipes in your building. My current apartment and my previous one have had nice clear water, even when filling a bathtub (i.e., enough volume to see the color if not much).

My water is crystal clear as well. That's rust in your pipes mostlikely. Good news is iron oxide isn't harmful.

There are no roof top tanks in CA. They use water pressure plus pumps. Tanks aka Buenos Aires style are very unsanitary and don't hold up in a seismic zone.

:D :cool:

The address is 41xx Warner Blvd. in Burbank. The water Tank had to be replaced and removed with a Huge Crane that interrupted street traffic .

LA Nacion Dec 31st, reports that Arsenic contents in water can produce skin cancer...! arsenic levels are very high in many localities in Buenos Aires Province.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1756508-enfrentar-al-veneno-los-bonaerenses-que-pelean-contra-el-arsenico-y-la-desidia

Face the Poisson: The BA residents that fight against Arsenic and Sloth...!

The 9 de Julio city, event is not an isolated incident: Pehuajó, Carlos Casares, Bragado, Alberti, Chivilcoy, Junín and Chacabuco are other locations where the problem is known because the neighbors also mobilized. But there are many more that have arsenic levels above those permitted by the Argentine Food Code (0.01 mg / l) and still do not know they are consuming a liquid that can cause them, among other things, skin cancer.

Analia Canusso (56) does know because she has HACRE: Chronic hydroarsenicism. Analia was six months confined to her home, until was discovered: had several tumors on the skin and the face and 67% of arsenic in urine.

My biggest worry (as a Civil Engineer working in the water industry) is the low mains pressure. All water distribution networks leak to some extent, even in the developed world, but pressure in the main ensures that no contaminants can enter the (below-ground) main via that route because the flow is always outwards. Where the pressure is low, and it's very low in some areas, this safeguard is absent and there is a much greater likelihood of contamination from the surrounding ground and sewers.

To make matters worse, some people illegally install pumps in the below-ground tank on their property (known as a cisterna) in order to ensure their supply where there is low or even no pressure. This creates negative pressure in the water main and can suck in any contaminants via leaks in the pipework.
Getting a whiff of chlorine is somewhat reassuring but it will only deal with bacteria and not other contaminants.

You should also pay attention to the content of bottled water. For example I have seen some brands containing 180mg/l of sodium (salt) which is close to the generally accepted maximum of 200. The same goes for nitrates and other components.

Back