How Safe Is Ba?

I'm from LA which has its fair share of crime overall but it varies GREATLY from area to area. I pretty much knew where I shouldn't go and it was pretty much as simple as that. In BA however it could be any neighborhood at any time. I will say that although I am sure that I am more likely to be a victim of petty theft here in BA, I feel more likely to be a victim of random violence in LA. I never feel that I'm going to get attacked for looking at someone the wrong way here..

What makes Buenos Aires different is that you have to watch your back no matter what neighborhood you're in.

Thats not "different" for me- I lived in LA for ten years, and had my car broken into in a "good" neigborhood, my wife had her purse snatched out of her convertible at a stop light a few blocks from Beverly Hills on La Cienega, I had my garage broken into and my bike stolen, and so on- it didnt matter where in LA you were, you locked your car and didnt leave any valuables in it, and a home or business breakin could occur anywhere.
Certainly, there were neighborhoods where you were more likely to get mugged at night- but I spent eight years with my shop in Inglewood, just across West Blvd from South Central and Compton, and never had a problem there.
I wouldnt try to buy drugs at the mini-mart at 2 am, but during the day it was perfectly safe.
Same thing with Boca or Constitution- I would go there during the day, but at night, there are streets where they will take everything but your tattoos- heck, they might even try for those, if they are cool enough.
All in all, I feel every bit as safe in BA as I do in LA, or in Paris or Rome or Madrid.

Thats not "different" for me- I lived in LA for ten years, and had my car broken into in a "good" neigborhood, my wife had her purse snatched out of her convertible at a stop light a few blocks from Beverly Hills on La Cienega, I had my garage broken into and my bike stolen, and so on- it didnt matter where in LA you were, you locked your car and didnt leave any valuables in it, and a home or business breakin could occur anywhere.
Certainly, there were neighborhoods where you were more likely to get mugged at night- but I spent eight years with my shop in Inglewood, just across West Blvd from South Central and Compton, and never had a problem there.
I wouldnt try to buy drugs at the mini-mart at 2 am, but during the day it was perfectly safe.
Same thing with Boca or Constitution- I would go there during the day, but at night, there are streets where they will take everything but your tattoos- heck, they might even try for those, if they are cool enough.
All in all, I feel every bit as safe in BA as I do in LA, or in Paris or Rome or Madrid.
I do feel that some of the insecurity here in BA is overdramitized on the news but the fact is that there is no doubt its headed the wrong direction. It may still be fairly safe but there has been a steady decline over the past 10 years. LA, however, for the past 20 years has gotten progressively safer. Both my wife and I had offices in Compton and its encouraging how much better its become.

I felt it was over-dramatized as well and even said that it was only 1 hour before having a gun pressed against my temple....It's a dangerous city getting more so as the economy crumbles...

Friends of my wife robbed today in Monserrat, early morning. Girl and her boyfriend leaving to go to work, surrounded front and back by about 10 younger males (maybe late teens). Took the girl's purse - DNI, rent money (she was going to pay the rent at lunch), cell phone (brand new, boyfriend bought for her two weeks ago) and everything else a woman usually has in her purse. Guy lost his wallet (no DNI in the wallet) and a couple hundred pesos.

Robberies like this can turn bad quickly with the slightest little bit of resistance...

I still haven't been robbed (knocking furiously on wood, right now) in 8 years here, but I'm one of three people I know personally who haven't.

Yeah I feel like things like that are the most serious (well what to look out for). I had what was about to become the same situation id when I was walking in rush hour at cabildo and mendoza to catch my bus. Luckily I was able to just walk quicker as they were approaching flagged down a bus that was pulling up and hopped on. I guess what is the scariest thing I feel is when you are in those types of situations even if there are many people around no one is going to help you.

I always bring my Nunchaku when travellin' to Lat Am countries, once in Peru, saw someone approaching me with his bizarre looks when I slanged and unholstered my beloved Nunchaku, then the would be thug turned back on his heels !

Nunchaku_(Parts).JPG

I always bring my Nunchaku when travellin' to Lat Am countries, once in Peru, saw someone approaching me with his bizarre looks when I slanged and unholstered my beloved Nunchaku, then the would be thug turned back on his heels !

Be careful not to hurt the attackers (at least too much), particularly if they're minors. You could find yourself in jail for an unmeasured response...

A neighbor in the building was robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight , was beaten with an iron rod, required several stitches . Lost all ID , papers , monet and his shoes!!

Back