How silly some expats can be

bradlyhale said:
I would think that the self-appointed linguist extraordinaire would be slightly familiar with the IPA. Or is that just too dorky?:rolleyes:

Hello?

I think that is not me, coudl you tell me what is the IPA?

Anyway there is more to my Sunday night than to answer your angry and pointless answers. Really.

You Spanish might REALLY suck.

ReemsterCARP said:
My putative Argentina family kept telling me I sounded like somebody from Avellaneda, now I see what they were trying to tell me :p

Hahaha! Great! At least someone with a sense of humour! :D

bradlyhale said:
Psst, I know some people in Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries that say your pronunciation is "bad." The point is that there is nothing inherently "bad" about any pronunciation of any language. Accents are always evolving, and this right/wrong factor applied to any accent is purely arbitrary and, in this case, very elitist. (Surprise, surprise..)

Well, baby there is.

"My pronunciation?" You don't know me!

Do you know what they say also about yours??? I hope you do.

You lack lots of reading.

Valoración social del espacio, de las lenguas, de las formas de hablar... eso no lo inventé SHO, los seres humanos lo hicieron TODOS y es una ciencia muy increíble de leer a respecto.

Sí, querida, se puede decir de donde uno es y de cual clase proviene por la manera como habla. De lo contrario, no existiría etiqueta ni formas más o menos elevadas de hablar para tal o cual situación.

No sé cual problema tenés, debe ser q estas pasando demasiado tiempo en la villa, pq lees todo como elitista, cuando en realidad uno no esta diciendo nada de esto.

PSSSST YOU! Earth calling.

Chau, buen domingo, nenaaaaaaa. :cool:

bradlyhale said:
I would think that the self-appointed linguist extraordinaire would be slightly familiar with the IPA. Or is that just too dorky?:rolleyes:

Aha, the International Phonetic Alphabet.

(escribir en siglas y no refrescar la memoria de los demás... tan elitista fue eso nena).

bradlyhale said:
You don't have the slightest idea what my Spanish is like. This has nothing to do with how "good" your Spanish is, but rather being elitist. If getting out more involves spending MORE TIME in Recoleta, I think I've done that millions of times over.

Oh, and for what it's worth, my significant other is from one of those really poor and filthy cities west of Capital Federal. I'll see if he's interested in working as a vendor on the Subtes. He doesn't even speak English! He must be really worthless, right?

Bradly, bradly, bradly, you need to calm down. For some reason, you got a serious case of conchitis aguda over this post. I never claimed anybody was worthless, silly boy. I have been all over Capital Federal, Zona Sur, Oeste, y Norte and there are marked differences in the accent. For example, go to you tube and look for an interview with Susana Gimenez, China Zorilla, Mirtha Legrand and you will see what I mean. For the other side of the coin listen to the accent of Diego Maradona, Hugo Moyano or other and you will see what I mean. It's kind of like the difference between Barbara Walters and Fran Dresher. And for the record I am a native spanish speaker. Half of my family is from Cuba and the other half from Russia, to top it all off, I lived in New York City most of my life, so I have been speaking spanish longer than you have pitter pattering around and can detect nuances that you cant!! HA HA:)

Go visit the Costa del Sol of Spain (Nerja) an listen to all of the straight men speaking Spanish with a lisp.

Now that's an accent.

Davidglen77 said:
Bradly, bradly, bradly, you need to calm down. For some reason, you got a serious case of conchitis aguda over this post. I never claimed anybody was worthless, silly boy. I have been all over Capital Federal, Zona Sur, Oeste, y Norte and there are marked differences in the accent. For example, go to you tube and look for an interview with Susana Gimenez, China Zorilla, Mirtha Legrand and you will see what I mean. For the other side of the coin listen to the accent of Diego Maradona, Hugo Moyano or other and you will see what I mean. It's kind of like the difference between Barbara Walters and Fran Dresher. And for the record I am a native spanish speaker. Half of my family is from Cuba and the other half from Russia, to top it all off, I lived in New York City most of my life, so I have been speaking spanish longer than you have pitter pattering around and can detect nuances that you cant!! HA HA:)

Care to explain to us why the hell anyone would want to speak like Susana Gimenez or Mirtha Legrand? Or Barbara Walters for that matter!!

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that the great majority of people in the greater Buenos Aires area no longer speak with the voiced zh. I do not hang around people from the villa, but rather very normal middle class people, and no one I know regularly prounces words with the voiced sound as you say is ever so appropriate for a foreigner to do. The only people who I have heard use it are old people, and yes, you guessed it, chetos from Recoleta. Why on earth would you want to speak like someone from Recoleta with a stick consistently lodged up their behind? And if you do, that's fine, but don't tell everyone else that they should, because some poor innocent soul who doesn't want to appear stuck up may end up doing so because of you.

KatharineAnn said:
Care to explain to us why the hell anyone would want to speak like Susana Gimenez or Mirtha Legrand? Or Barbara Walters for that matter!!

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that the great majority of people in the greater Buenos Aires area no longer speak with the voiced zh. I do not hang around people from the villa, but rather very normal middle class people, and no one I know regularly prounces words with the voiced sound as you say is ever so appropriate for a foreigner to do. The only people who I have heard use it are old people, and yes, you guessed it, chetos from Recoleta. Why on earth would you want to speak like someone from Recoleta with a stick consistently lodged up their behind? And if you do, that's fine, but don't tell everyone else that they should, because some poor innocent soul who doesn't want to appear stuck up may end up doing so because of you.

Jeez, here's another expat with their panties in a bunch! I was simply making comparisons about accents when I named those people. However, anybody who wants to sound well spoken, educated, as I assume most people do, will follow what I've outlined here. I am not bashing anybody, just making a point about how your accent will point out where / how / to what degree your spanish level is. Speaking castellano is not only a matter of vocabulary, your accent (or lack of it) speaks volumes about your ability to express yourself in a foreign language.

And generalizing about people from Recoleta, or Susana Gimenez, Mirtha Legrand, or China Zorilla who are adored by 99% of the population of this country is just as bad as generalizing about people from a Villa (which was never done or expressed here by me, but I am being accused of)

Smile more and enjoy this great country!!

steveinbsas said:
Go visit the Costa del Sol of Spain (Nerja) an listen to all of the straight men speaking Spanish with a lisp.

Now that's an accent.

I totally know what you mean about those guys in Spain, it's rather amusing to someone from outside of that region, and if you've noticed there are quite a few men and women with a lisp (seseo) here in Buenos Aires and it's not done on purpose. I don't know what the speech therapists are paid here, probably not very much, but they should be correcting this in grade school.

ReemsterCARP said:
My putative Argentina family kept telling me I sounded like somebody from Avellaneda, now I see what they were trying to tell me :p

Hey - I resemble that remark - I live in Avellaneda and my partner was born here..... :)

Back