How to buy a car in Argentina

Fettucini

Registered
Hi, anyone know if a foreigner can still buy a car in Argentina easily?
It's actually for a friend of mine who's coming here next month, and although i have a car which i bought here myself a few years ago, i thought the rules might have changed (as someone mentioned now there is a 3 month waiting period or something - not sure whether that's true or not)

Rules have not changed. Although, I wouldnt call the process "easy." The documents you need are the certificado of domicilio and a passport. Not a big deal.

The difficult part is straightening out all the paperwork the seller needs to provide. So, you should either buy a car from someone you know (de confianza) or pay a gestor a couple hundred pesos to look over the paperwork to make sure everything is correct BEFORE paying for the car. It is possible to do everything yourself, but if you are not comfortable with the process or are buying from a stranger, paying someone to help out is definitely worth it.

Also, if you buy from a dealership they usually have someone to deal with the paperwork issues, and it is therefore a lot easier.

On a related note, if you still want to buy a car here, it will cost you double the price than in N. America!

On a related note - how many of you ARE driving in Buenos Aires? I have been driving for years here in Australia and my lady tells me we should get a car when I get down next year - but I've had a look at the driving situation down there and personally the thought of driving in BA freaks me out :) How many of you HAVE taken the plunge and would now say you feel confident/safe to some extent on the roads ? Just curious... :)

Johnno - Your risk tolerance may vary but I don't drive here & would not do it. And I'm from NYC where the drivers aren't exactly sane. If you're planning on being in Cap Fed, you really don't need a car.

I don't drive here but have driven here a bit. Its not actually as bad as it looks, just keep your eyes open.

I ride a bike. For the vast majority of your needs (besides last minute weekend trips) a bike, the buses, and taxis will serve your needs just fine. There are always car rentals if you really want to try it on. Agreed that driving here seems worse from the outside--the craziness and lack of adherence to lanes makes driving more fluid, you just have to stay alert!

Back