How to buy prescription medications?

igor

Administrator
(Could anybody answer this question, please?)
My husband and I will be coming to BA this fall for six months, and we need to find out whether our prescription medications are available there, and if we need doctors' prescriptions or can buy over the counter, as we do here in Mexico. How can I find out this information?
Thanks.
Fran

Pharmacies in downtown Buenos Aires will not have a problem in selling you prescription medications as long as you produce your original US/EU prescriptions (with the exception of anti-depressants and sleeping pills).
However, Argentina does not have a "repeat prescription" like the Uk does, so it would be a one-time thing and then you'd have to register with a GP (General Practitioner) and get your new prescriptions. Having said that, unless you require anti-depressants or sleeping pills, most Chemists don't keep your prescription forms. Please bear in mind that in this country prescriptions expire after 30 days.
The "legal" thing to do is to register with a GP and obtain a local prescription.
I hope this helps!

I would take a guess that if you can get it in Mexico without a prescription, you can probably get it here. From my experience, the only things that you really need a prescription for are pain killers, sleeping pills, and some antidepressants (my mother in law recently passed away from cancer). If you do need a prescription, you could talk to the pharmacist, and they may give it to you without a prescription, even if one is required by law. If you need to go to the hospital to get one, you can go to a public hospital, get one at no charge and my guess is that once the pharmacy knows that you are someone who gets this prescription regularly, you won't need to get the written prescription very frequently, if at all. Argentina is all about getting to know lots of people in lots of different businesses, and it will make life much easier. IMO laws here are made for the people to decide if they want to use them. I.e. if you look like a drug addict, they can say it is required by law, but if they know you have a loved one who is sick, they will help you out! (I did receive some pain killers for my mother in law without a prescription)
Jessica

thanks for your answers. we both take meds for blood pressure and thyroid, but haven't needed written prescriptions here in Mexico. If we can buy them in AR without a hassle, that would be great. If not, maybe we can't live in AR if we have to see a doctor every 30 days for this continuing kind of medication.Fran

Here is a number for a local pharmacy. (I live outside of Capital, but not too far). You can call and ask them if what is available without a prescription
Farma 24
Av. M. Castex 781 - Canning
Tel.: 4295-6800

"billfeetham" said:
thanks for your answers. we both take meds for blood pressure and thyroid, but haven't needed written prescriptions here in Mexico. If we can buy them in AR without a hassle, that would be great. If not, maybe we can't live in AR if we have to see a doctor every 30 days for this continuing kind of medication.
Fran
Hello Fran,
You will not have a problem in getting this type of medication without a prescription. As mentioned before, the categories of medications you'll have trouble with are those which are likely to cause addiction. Examples: ADD medication (Ritalin), Anti-depressants (zoloft, lexapro, luvox, paxil, prozac, etc), sleeping pills (rivotril, clonagin, valium, etc.), strong painkillers (Klosidol- dextropropoxiphene+dipirone).
Otherwise, you will not have a problem. Unlike in Europe (I don't know about the US), you can buy asthma medication without a prescription here (salbutamol)
I hope this helps.

There are strict regualtions on medicines here and you do need a prescription to get most drugs.
Of course there are counterfeit copies available very easy here but I would best avoid them at all costs as they have been known to cause severe reactions.

"pericles" said:
There are strict regualtions on medicines here and you do need a prescription to get most drugs.
Of course there are counterfeit copies available very easy here but I would best avoid them at all costs as they have been known to cause severe reactions.
Pericles,
While what you say about counterfiets is arguably true, I must point out that I was referring to fully legal medicines.

Would I have any problem having perscription medications mailed from the U.S to Argentina?

Hey Donquixote,
I can't say I know the answer to your question, but my experience with both the Argentinian mail service and Argentinian customs lead me to believe this wouldn't be a reliable/safe/cost-effective solution.
Besides, many US phamaceutical labs have branches in this country and manufacture the same drugs using international standards.

I hope this helps
I hope this helps

Back