How to fall in love with Buenos Aires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Translation for those who CBA to read the wall-o-text above -

"Waaah! Waaaah! It's not like Europe, waaaah!"
Why are you trying so hard to invalidate his opinion ? Argentina is not for everyone and Its crazy energy can tire many. Europe works and there is stability here its like you are inches closer to the cliff and soon game over

Why are you trying so hard to invalidate his opinion ? Argentina is not for everyone and Its crazy energy can tire many. Europe works and there is stability here its like you are inches closer to the cliff and soon game over

You're right. My bad. Apologies.

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, I just don't think I will like it here after all. I've tried most of the suggestions in this thread a long time ago. There is also nothing I could only do in CABA. I come from a city of 100 thousand people and it's so much easier to do anything there, especially because we don't have insane tax rates on imports. I am afraid of taking out my camera to do photography, the conurbano is incredibly unfriendly to pedestrians so I don't want to walk and there aren't even any independent cinemas. If I start to drink wine to stand being here, I will become an alcoholic. I am 25 years old and nothing has caught my attention so far. I am especially surprised by how dead it is in the night even in Palermo. I think I will go back and make enough money to lock myself away in a bubble somewhere in Zona Norte, as unfortunately I still have to be here in the long term...

I come from Poland, which has the worst road accident casualty statistics in Eastern Europe. According to Wikipedia, Argentina has 13.6 deaths per 100k people and Poland has 7.6. I won't even mention "casual" accidents. I have never seen so many damaged cars in my life. Then again, Argentinian drivers can't even turn. Many times I have been blocked by idiots who, when turning left, go to the opposite lane, making it impossible for me to enter my own lane. Not to mention all the times I was taken over when turning left. Or all the people who can't even stay in their lane. Or all the infractions ignored all the time by the police and all the "para-police" units, like Direccion General de Transito. I have never seen anything like this. How can a whole city of 15 million people not realise that following traffic laws and driving safely will actually help them arrive at their destination more quickly?? Who has the time to read minds, block intersections and do whatever it is Argentinians do on roundabouts? In regards to Italy, there are many differences between, say, South Tirol and Napoli, also in driving skills. My girlfriend told me what she had to do to get her licence here - drive in a zigzag and park at an angle. Compare that to the Polish driving exam, which is at least 1 hour of driving in real conditions in the city (after doing what Argentinians do to get their licence), and it becomes obvious why I don't need an IDP to drive.

I guess the thread can die now. All I can say to the people who are planning to move to Argentina/the conurbano/CABA and encounter this thread is that:
1. Visiting Argentina is much more different from living here, even if you've spent some time here before the move.
2. You might want to consider another place.
I don't mean to sound harsh, but once something brings great distaste, it's difficult to overcome it. Perhaps you should challenge your assumptions about needing to be in Argentina. You mentioned a GF, but I wonder if that's a good enough reason (I am sure she's great). Or perhaps she would go with you if push came to shove.

Good luck to you.

BA is like a dive bar. Gritty and grimey. some people love dive bars some people don’t.
so to the original poster come in, have a few drinks, stay a bit with the knowledge that you can leave soon.

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, I just don't think I will like it here after all. I've tried most of the suggestions in this thread a long time ago. There is also nothing I could only do in CABA. I come from a city of 100 thousand people and it's so much easier to do anything there, especially because we don't have insane tax rates on imports. I am afraid of taking out my camera to do photography, the conurbano is incredibly unfriendly to pedestrians so I don't want to walk and there aren't even any independent cinemas. If I start to drink wine to stand being here, I will become an alcoholic. I am 25 years old and nothing has caught my attention so far. I am especially surprised by how dead it is in the night even in Palermo. I think I will go back and make enough money to lock myself away in a bubble somewhere in Zona Norte, as unfortunately I still have to be here in the long term...

I come from Poland, which has the worst road accident casualty statistics in Eastern Europe. According to Wikipedia, Argentina has 13.6 deaths per 100k people and Poland has 7.6. I won't even mention "casual" accidents. I have never seen so many damaged cars in my life. Then again, Argentinian drivers can't even turn. Many times I have been blocked by idiots who, when turning left, go to the opposite lane, making it impossible for me to enter my own lane. Not to mention all the times I was taken over when turning left. Or all the people who can't even stay in their lane. Or all the infractions ignored all the time by the police and all the "para-police" units, like Direccion General de Transito. I have never seen anything like this. How can a whole city of 15 million people not realise that following traffic laws and driving safely will actually help them arrive at their destination more quickly?? Who has the time to read minds, block intersections and do whatever it is Argentinians do on roundabouts? In regards to Italy, there are many differences between, say, South Tirol and Napoli, also in driving skills. My girlfriend told me what she had to do to get her licence here - drive in a zigzag and park at an angle. Compare that to the Polish driving exam, which is at least 1 hour of driving in real conditions in the city (after doing what Argentinians do to get their licence), and it becomes obvious why I don't need an IDP to drive.

I guess the thread can die now. All I can say to the people who are planning to move to Argentina/the conurbano/CABA and encounter this thread is that:
1. Visiting Argentina is much more different from living here, even if you've spent some time here before the move.

One thing I’m always confused about (and correct me if I’m wrong) is that the only time anybody seems to be in a rush in Argentina is when they’re driving. I both love and hate the notion of timekeeping here, it’s weirdly refreshing but also annoying at times. Being in a car here though does stress me out a lot, even more than coastal roads in Peru when you’re staring down the side of a cliff

One thing I’m always confused about (and correct me if I’m wrong) is that the only time anybody seems to be in a rush in Argentina is when they’re driving. I both love and hate the notion of timekeeping here, it’s weirdly refreshing but also annoying at times. Being in a car here though does stress me out a lot, even more than coastal roads in Peru when you’re staring down the side of a cliff
The important thing to understand is that the hora argentina actually contains 90 minutes, rather than 60, so when your friends appear to be half an hour late, they're actually right on time.

I understand your feelings. As I said, if you don't like it you don't like it and no-one is going to convince you otherwise. As for walkability, I disagree. I recall Paul Theroux's comment in The Great Patagonian Express about how walkable Buenos Aires is. Of course crossing 9 de Julio is a nightmare but walking around Recoleta is quite easy and without serious traffic problems (unless you are trying to cross Libertador). I suppose people are nervous about being on the streets at night given the rise in crime which is in part due to economic problems. If you just want peace and quiet, try to find a place in Lomas de San Isidro or some other Zona Norte suburb but be warned, it's not necessarily safe in those places -- and the absence of people on the streets may make you even more uncomfortable. I don't know why you're in Argentina but you should be able to make your life pleasant if you have an agreeable living environment and have a couple of friends or at least friendly acquaintances. People go to far less developed places and manage well enough. How much longer do you have in Argentina?

Meh, at least Thailand would be cheaper and safer. The food would be much better too

If you like Thai food. I hate it. I don't think the food is bad in Argentina. It's true that there is a uniformity but I've seen a lot of innovation over the years. Maybe you need to look for better restaurants and spend a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back