How to fall in love with Buenos Aires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about buying a dashcam and starting a YouTube channel with Argentinian drivers. I could create episodes every day. Today I got blocked by someone turning left while I was trying to turn left as well. They went on the opposite lane to turn, and I "blocked" them thinking they would stay on the right lane and turn left by going around my back, but alas
Have you taken a driving class here to learn the laws? It is my understanding that left turning vehicles must give right-of-way to everyone else, including vehicles continuing from behind. You are not allowed to “block” anyone in your quest to turn left. I often think that I was here first so everyone behind me must wait, but that is not the case in Argentina. I have seen many times where this has been taken to the extreme, in my mind, to see cars pulled over to the right hand side of the road, on the shoulder, with the left hand turn signal, waiting for all cars to pass before finally pulling out to cross all lanes to complete a simple 90 degree left turn. I do not completely understand this case you describe, but it sounds like the other driver was following the normal understanding of the law.

Plus why drive the car everyday in a city that has good mass transit opportunities? That will certainly make anyone unhappy in life.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, but we will most likely go to a more civilised country like Denmark, The Netherlands, or maybe Italy or Spain since she'd fit in there more. It would also be awesome if I could convince her to Croatia. I am not considering Poland, I do not actually like Poland, I just know it's better than Argentina in a lot of aspects.
Nobody mentioned tango so far, it is one of the main attractions of BsAs for people from all over the world - many come here annually to dance at milongas and take classes. And many fall in love with it so much that they stay in BsAs part of the year and some go as far as making it their new home. It's so popular in Europe that no matter which country you end up in settling you'll always have dozens of place to dance at any given week. It might become a life long passion and also a way to meet many people from different backgrounds that you'd never meet otherwise. Will also help to feel more at home and make social connections fast in any new place. And there is no place like BsAs to learn it.

Hello, I came to Buenos Aires around 4 months ago for the third time in my life due to personal circumstances. I never really fell in love with the city and I've actually grown to dislike it quite a lot. However, I have to stay here for a long time this time and I would like to know how I can like Buenos Aires. What are some things I could try or do that could change my perspective of Argentina or the conurbano? In my opinion the city is quite ugly, dirty and run down, the food is bland, the drivers are terrible, it's much more dangerous than anywhere I've been, I'm tired of the ever-present poverty and Argentinians are very unreliable. But is there something that can change my opinion? I'd really like to like it here, but it's so hard for some reason. I've been to Córdoba and Corrientes, but they were meh, except for Mercedes and the whole Gauchito Gil stuff, that was really cool and the only aspect of Argentinian culture I really like and find fascinating for now. Is there someone here who's been in a similar situation? I understand that it might feel like I'm trolling or something, but I guess something never clicked when I came here the first time. Thanks!

If you don't like it, you don't like, it's not for everyone.

Most people on this board like Argentina because they live like kings in the nicest neighborhoods in the city. I'd be miserable if I lived in Quilmes, Hurlingham, or any other conurbano shithole too. People are robbed all the time there, the food is largely garbage, it's dirty and depressing. I'll give you that.

Move to San Isidro, Palermo, Belgrano, Colegiales, Martinez and you'll have a much improved existence.

My best advice would be to travel once a month if you have the money to do so. Go to Salta, Jujuy, Mendoza, Bariloche, Iguazu. There are a lot of beautiful nature spots across Argentina if that's your thing.

Have you taken a driving class here to learn the laws? It is my understanding that left turning vehicles must give right-of-way to everyone else, including vehicles continuing from behind. You are not allowed to “block” anyone in your quest to turn left. I often think that I was here first so everyone behind me must wait, but that is not the case in Argentina. I have seen many times where this has been taken to the extreme, in my mind, to see cars pulled over to the right hand side of the road, on the shoulder, with the left hand turn signal, waiting for all cars to pass before finally pulling out to cross all lanes to complete a simple 90 degree left turn. I do not completely understand this case you describe, but it sounds like the other driver was following the normal understanding of the law.
I am sorry, but I cannot hide it, you completely misunderstood! Find attached some diagrams of the situation. I am blue and the other guy is violet. As you can see, it was a normal intersection - no signs, two lanes on each road. Therefore, I had priority as I was on his right. The first map shows the situation.

The second map (with the number 1, sorry if it's confusing!) shows what I wanted to happen. I wanted to go and start turning left, and the guy would go straight and turn left himself, going around my back. No drama, everything would have been fine.

The third map (number 2), however, shows what happened. The driver simply went onto the left lane in order to turn more quickly. He completely blocked not only me, but himself, as it took me a bit to process what had happened. I'm afraid there are no problems with the way I drive! In fact, very few Argentinians keep any sorts of rules and that includes "equal" intersections that I am sure have a much better actual English name. Very rarely am I let through by people whose right I am on. 99% of the time it is like you said - I was here first/I am part of a string of cars.

Regarding moving to CABA, maybe? I actually live in a better-than-average town in Zona Norte with very good connections to CABA. I've been in CABA plenty of times and I never really loved it. I've never found a restaurant I felt like I wanted to go to again or an area I particularly liked, I don't know! Maybe I will try tango after all?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230510_145852_Keep Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230510_145852_Keep Notes.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20230510_192509_Keep Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230510_192509_Keep Notes.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20230510_192515_Keep Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230510_192515_Keep Notes.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 3
I am sorry, but I cannot hide it, you completely misunderstood! Find attached some diagrams of the situation. I am blue and the other guy is violet. As you can see, it was a normal intersection - no signs, two lanes on each road. Therefore, I had priority as I was on his right. The first map shows the situation.

The second map (with the number 1, sorry if it's confusing!) shows what I wanted to happen. I wanted to go and start turning left, and the guy would go straight and turn left himself, going around my back. No drama, everything would have been fine.

The third map (number 2), however, shows what happened. The driver simply went onto the left lane in order to turn more quickly. He completely blocked not only me, but himself, as it took me a bit to process what had happened. I'm afraid there are no problems with the way I drive! In fact, very few Argentinians keep any sorts of rules and that includes "equal" intersections that I am sure have a much better actual English name. Very rarely am I let through by people whose right I am on. 99% of the time it is like you said - I was here first/I am part of a string of cars.

Regarding moving to CABA, maybe? I actually live in a better-than-average town in Zona Norte with very good connections to CABA. I've been in CABA plenty of times and I never really loved it. I've never found a restaurant I felt like I wanted to go to again or an area I particularly liked, I don't know! Maybe I will try tango after all?
Have you considered putting yourself first instead of forcing yourself to live somewhere you don't like and wasting your time drawing road diagrams and complaining? You don't like the barrio where you live now, you don't like CABA, you don't like Argentina or Argentine society...
You haven't specified how much longer you have to force yourself to stay here (how long your gf has left in uni). So, exactly how much longer is that? Because if it's longer than 6 months, you really should just leave now, for your own sanity. You can always find another girlfriend. Stop hurting yourself to please someone else.

Here's an excerpt from an article on how to put yourself first. You need to read this:
Putting yourself first is about putting your true needs, self-respect, and integrity first.

It is about doing what’s best for your health in the long run. It’s about not letting others walk over you.

It’s about crafting a life that makes you feel fulfilled and not one that fulfills someone else’s dreams or societal standards.

I'll also add now that traffic rule violations occur very frequently everywhere outside of the West and Japan. Don't come to Argentina (or any other country, for that matter) and expect people to drive the same way they do in England or Poland, or expect them to obey the rules 100% of the time. jfc.

Why is everyone trying to convince me to break up with my girlfriend? I hate the city, not her. I am happy when I am with her even in Buenos Aires. Seriously, can you chill out with the life advice and all the wonderful posts and self-respect stuff?? It's the last reply I will give here, this is starting to become pointless. Such geniuses you are for telling me I can go back! Really?? Wow!! I never knew!!! Was the topic of the thread "do I break up with my girlfriend" or "what is there to like in Buenos Aires"?

I'll also add now that traffic rule violations occur very frequently everywhere outside of the West and Japan. Don't come to Argentina (or any other country, for that matter) and expect people to drive the same way they do in England or Poland, or expect them to obey the rules 100% of the time. jfc.
I didn't expect it to be this bad. Literally nobody uses their head when driving. It's incredible, a city of 15 million idiots! No wonder so many of you fit so well here. Also, you idiot, I just wanted to have a conversation about something that happened to me. Bye!

Why is everyone trying to convince me to break up with my girlfriend? I hate the city, not her. I am happy when I am with her even in Buenos Aires. Seriously, can you chill out with the life advice and all the wonderful posts and self-respect stuff?? It's the last reply I will give here, this is starting to become pointless. Such geniuses you are for telling me I can go back! Really?? Wow!! I never knew!!! Was the topic of the thread "do I break up with my girlfriend" or "what is there to like in Buenos Aires"?

I didn't expect it to be this bad. Literally nobody uses their head when driving. It's incredible, a city of 15 million idiots! No wonder so many of you fit so well here. Also, you idiot, I just wanted to have a conversation about something that happened to me. Bye!
To add my two cents, I too moved here for my Argentinian girlfriend and it is a culture shock I can empathise with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back