How to get a copy of a passport certified and receive the Apostille in the US?

steveinbsas

Registered
I need to have my nephew get a copy of his passport certified in the US and it also needs the Apostille.

Does anyone know how to do this? Is is possible to have a US passport certified and authenticated at an Argentine consulate? He's in Seattle.

Just to be clear - countries (such as the US) that do the Apostille do not need an Argentine consulate to legalize the document.

Legalization by an Argentine consulate is only needed in the case of a country, such as Canada, that doesn't provide an Apostille. In that case, it needs to be both authenticated in that country's Foreign Affairs/State Dept, then legalized at an Argentine consulate in the jurisdiction in which the document was issued. Again, AFAIK, for the US this is not necessary.

ben said:
Just to be clear - countries (such as the US) that do the Apostille do not need an Argentine consulate to legalize the document.

Legalization by an Argentine consulate is only needed in the case of a country, such as Canada, that doesn't provide an Apostille. In that case, it needs to be both authenticated in that country's Foreign Affairs/State Dept, then legalized at an Argentine consulate in the jurisdiction in which the document was issued. Again, AFAIK, for the US this is not necessary.

Good point. I was hoping there was an Argentine consulate in Seattle and my nephew could just go there as he lives near the center. It looks like he'll have to do it using Fed EX to MD, but that's OK.

Back