How to get a DNI?

Delaluz26

Registered
We just moved here as permanent residents two weeks ago and I was told by the Chicago consulate that I needed to get the DNI process started asap. We're in Gualeguaychú where my husband is from and where it's unclear if anyone from the US has ever settled as a permanent resident from the look of utter confusion my husband said the guy in the registro civil had when he asked about how to get started with the DNI process. I'm sure someone here has been through it, so thought I'd ask and stop with the dead ends I keep running into. Thanks!

I don't know the answer, but to be honest, I'd try to take advantage of their confusion to make the process easier for yourself. Just bring in what documents you have, say this is all that is required, and expect them to give you a DNI.

This is called the Viveza criolla. Welcome.

I don't know the answer, but to be honest, I'd try to take advantage of their confusion to make the process easier for yourself. Just bring in what documents you have, say this is all that is required, and expect them to give you a DNI.

This is called the Viveza criolla. Welcome.
The guy was confused because registro/Renaper does not handle DNIs for residentes, they need to get it thru Migraciones.

Ger a turno here:
Thank you all! I just got a turno through the link you provided however even though I selected Gualeguaychú, Gualeguaychú it gave me an appointment in concepcion de uruguay! Any thoughts on how I can change it? There is no phone number provided of course;)

Concepcion has the migraciones office. They're pretty chill. I got in there a few times and managed to get what I needed in spite of my terrible Spanish. Be nice, smile, and patient and they'll probably get you what you need.i came in there without an appointment once.

Frankly i think you'll be a refreshing change of pace. When i'm in there about 2/3s of the people are Chinese, a couple of Venezuelans and maybe some Haitians thrown in to spice things up.

But I always play the big dumb yankee card anyways and act nice and fri

Thank you all! I just got a turno through the link you provided however even though I selected Gualeguaychú, Gualeguaychú it gave me an appointment in concepcion de uruguay! Any thoughts on how I can change it? There is no phone number provided of course;)
The migraciones office is in Concepcion.

The migraciones office is in Concepcion.

Thanks! Does that mean you live in Entre Rios, Brian? I guess it'll be an adventure going there. My husband who is from here will come with, but I'm sure it'll be something for the memoirs;)

I'm in Depto Colon to the north. You're in for a wild ride.

I'm not sure how you grew up in the US but things are bit different in Entre Rios.

Thanks. I just reserved a turn. I thought it was supposed to be very hard to get an appointment, well judging by other posts that I've read. It also didn't mention any requirements. Am I supposed to just show up with some nice jeans on and that's it.

Back