How to get a DNI?

Take a look at the back of the card

If you have a CUIL/CUIT, it will be just below your photo.

Are there DNIs that don't have CUIL/CUIT? I thought all residents with a DNI had a CUIL. I don't have it in hand, it was sent to a friend's house because I don't move into my real apartment until January.

Last edited:
What purpose does the CUIL/CUIT serve? I think you mentioned it was needed when I asked about starting a business. Are there DNIs that don't have CUIL/CUIT? I don't have it in hand, it was sent to a friend's house because I don't move into my real apartment until January.

At the least, you will need the CUIL/CUIT to open a bank account.

You may also use it if and when you make any declarations or payments to AFIP, as well as starting a business (lots of hoops to jump through to accomplish that en blanco!).

I'm not sure if I ever used mine for anything else. I may have (perhaps when registering with Mercao Libre or Mercado Pago), but I don't remember at the moment.

PS: Others have posted that the banks always ask for the DNI when an individual wants to open an account, but the underlying reason the bank asks for the DNI card is to see the CUIL (which includes the numbers of the DNI).

Last edited:
PS2: And you would need the CUIL to work (get a job).

Foreign residents who must pay the bienes personales also need the CUIL/CUIT, even if they have no income in Argentina.

The CUIL/CUIT always follows a predictable pattern (Starts with 30? and ends in 1 number if you're a man and another if you're a woman).

Although not all DNIs have valid CUITs. CUIT is like some paper work you gotta file at afip. I tried once when i was on precaria and gave up.

The CUIL/CUIT always follows a predictable pattern (Starts with 30? and ends in 1 number if you're a man and another if you're a woman).

Uh,Oh! My CUIL (as shown on my DNI) starts with 20 and ends with a 6.

Although not all DNIs have valid CUITs. CUIT is like some paper work you gotta file at afip. I tried once when i was on precaria and gave up.

I received a DNI booklet in early 2007 and never gave the CUIT/CUIL a thought until 2009 when I was selling an apartment I bought in late October of 2006 (a few days after receiving my precaria) . I had never paid the bienes personales and had to go to an office of AFIP on 9 de julio to "enroll" so I could pay the bienes for the previous three years. I went with my DNI booklet and my accountant and just happened to have a bank statement with me that showed my address (which they asked for).

I did not have a CUIL/CUIT when I bought the apartment, but it was very important to have one when I sold it, as that gave me the advantage of selling as a resident. That meant less hoops to jump through to finalize the sale as I only had to pay the bienes and not otherwise seek AFIP's approval to finalize the sale. I did't have to "proove" that I had not rented the apartment and not paid taxes on the rents. That was good because I hadn't, and it's not easy to proove a negative.

I mean, you didn't have to pay taxes because you never rented it right ;) .

Argentina: The land of casual tax avoidance and no enforcement.

I mean, you didn't have to pay taxes because you never rented it right ;) .

Argentina: The land of casual tax avoidance and no enforcement.

I did not have to pay taxes on renal income for the apartment because I never rented it.

As a resident, I did not have to proove this to AFIP. If I had been a non-resident, it would have been a differnet story.

I would have had to demonstrate (with utility bills that dropped to near zero) that I did not rent it while I was not in the country.

This process can add months to selling an apartment.

I had to pay the bienes persoanales because I owned it, but did not know about the tax until I sold it.

That's when the "enforcement" took place.

I paid the bienes personales plus interest (three separate payments) for the previous three years.

Since then I haven't paid the bienes persoanles because the total value of my worldwide assets have not exceeded the minimum threshold to pay the tax.

I have never paid income tax in Argentina becuase my income has never exceeded the annual "threshold" (aka exemption?) to pay the income tax.

PS: I always paid the ABL (property tax) on the apartment as soon as the bill arrived. AFIP does not send a bill for the bienes personales and it's difficult to pay a tax when you don't even know it exists.

Last edited:
Back