How to get an Argentine Credit Card

Macanudo

Registered
Hello,

Does anyone know of any online banks that issue credit cards without an Argentine income source? I've got a debit card, but my bank won't give me a credit card.

Banco Santander and NaranjaX gave me credit cards at the 1st time I applied. I have only been in Argentina for 2 months and no income at all. I have been paying Monotributo just for only 1 month. I think if you have a DNI it's pretty easy. My limit is pretty low too, just over 100 000 pesos, 2 credits cards combined.

Carrefour MC and Naranja Visa gave me credit Cards with pretty low Credit Limits.. Plus several debit cards.

A few months ago I applied for and instantly approved for both a visa and MasterCard from Supervielle bank with a total credit limit of just over 600.000 pesos. I’m a naturalized Argentine citizen (used BajoCero’s services ). I’ve never had a job in white here but I am the majority shareholder in a long standing business that has had a relationship with the bank for many years so that could explain the instant approval and reasonable credit limit. The Supervielle app has good functionality and never a line at the branch I use when I go to pay the credit card off in cash at the end of the month.

Last edited:
Here's how I obtained credit cards here, the timelines more or less, and my experience with different banks:

You'll need a permanent DNI or citizenship, and I highly recommend work in blanco (your employer will have a dedicated banker
who can help, or sign up as a monotributista, pay a few bucks in taxes each month even if you're retired as it will give them less of
a chance to say no)

• I checked the ofretas of everyone the day I got my DNI (it was digital, didn't even have the physical card yet, all online)
  • Santander had the best offer (they're a shitty bank, don't recommend them except for building credit history)
  • Got a Visa with a ~$250 USD blue credit limit for 1 pago/cuotas combined, all online, no job/income history.
  • Signed up as a monotribuista and started paying taxes on the freelancing odd jobs I was doing here
  • Used it for 3 months, then applied for a Nativa MC w/BNA, about a ~$200 USD blue credit limit for 1 pago and $250 USD blue credit limit for cuotas
  • 3/6/8 months later, I asked for an increase at Santander, all denied
  • Eventually went to Galicia in person, met with one of their Eminent bankers, told them how low my Santander CC was compared to my income, she told me to message her when I had 10 months seniority as a monotributista
  • Thought I was getting the run around from her, forgot about it, but she messaged me on WhatsApp and actually got me approved for a Visa and MC with them, 10x the limit I had at Santander for both 1 pago and cuotas; very happy with them, I can message her and ask her any banking things via WhatsApp and she takes care of it
  • Closed my account and CC w/Santander, banker asked why, was I going back to my country? I told her nope, explained the denied limit, she said she'd run it again, but it's "up to the system". I was denied again, she said I mustn't have a good credit history, then showed her the Eminent cards from Galicia and her demeanor completely changed, "Mr. Quilombo, I apologize, let me talk to the Santander Black banker..." I said nope, you guys had your chance (I think it's in part because I dress very casually, I'm not rich, I don't want people to think I am, but I'm doing well compared to most Argentines)
  • I told Santander in a survey they emailed me why I closed my account (that I assumed wasn't going to be read) that: "Cada interacción con ustedes es un quilombo; el banco es completamente una verga; contraté 3 tipos de seguros y todas mis necesidades bancarias con Galicia tras cerrar mi cuenta con Santander."
  • Some poor woman called me and asked: "Mr. Quilombo, you said Santander is a quilombo and a [clears throat]... verga... in a survey we emailed you, correct? Was there anything we could do differently?."
Of course, YMMV, but this was my experience in 2021/2022

Back