How to get money *out* of Argentina?

Thank you all for your responses!! At any rate, we do plan on coming back at least 1-2 times per year, so if wiring is very expensive/risky, we might go for the money pouch route. In general I doubt we will have more than 10k to take out per trip, and I understand up to 10k is legal to leave the country with, correct? I was just wondering what our options would be in the event that we are not able to make it back for an extended period of time. It sure looks tricky. We'll keep looking into it. Thanks again!

KatharineAnn said:
Thank you all for your responses!! At any rate, we do plan on coming back at least 1-2 times per year, so if wiring is very expensive/risky, we might go for the money pouch route. In general I doubt we will have more than 10k to take out per trip, and I understand up to 10k is legal to leave the country with, correct? I was just wondering what our options would be in the event that we are not able to make it back for an extended period of time. It sure looks tricky. We'll keep looking into it. Thanks again!
Since you are saying "we", just remember that each person is entitled to carry up to US $10,000. I would try to avoid leaving money in pesos here over an extended period as nobody knows what it will be worth when you manage to get back.

The 10,000 limit is per person and not per family? Well that makes things even better! Although we likely won't always be returning together. I definitely agree that it's best to get the money out - but it's not that we have much money sitting around, but rather a humble but helpful income that will accumulate eventually.

Thanks for all the advice.

does anyone know the names and locations of some of these reputable excahnge houses... I have the same problem

does anyone know the names and locations of some of these reputable excahnge houses... I have the same problem

It is really hard to get someone to give their exchange house information. It takes a highly regarded recommendation for most to accept new customers. Mine transfers through a Swiss bank. Last time I asked , they were not accepting new customers. Unless of course it is a substantial amount of money.

My old cueva took Bitcoin.

I'd think that you could take all of your money put at once with Bitcoins.

My reputable exchange house in Patagonia is being audited for two weeks every third week. The auditors specifically said that they know what is going on and that they are going for proof.

Is it like that in Buenos Aires as well, or are there too many to monitor them all?

My place deals with the same thing. Sometimes they say , next week , the auditors are here !! Or AFIP is snooping , call back later.

My reputable exchange house in Patagonia is being audited for two weeks every third week. The auditors specifically said that they know what is going on and that they are going for proof.

Is it like that in Buenos Aires as well, or are there too many to monitor them all?

My old place in Buenos Aires always has a PFA officer in front officially guarding the illegal change house. I don't see them getting audited too soon. Especially considering the number of times I got brand new bills in sequential order, I'm fairly certain that several higher ups on in on the deal.

Back