How to get money *out* of Argentina?

(my previous 2 posts got swallowed up in moderation queue, so please forgive if this is a dup)

@Napolean: where was your previous place? We've been looking for somewhere that accepts crypto, but we got blank stares at our local one (in Palermo)

Places on Florida, Levalle and the financial district are all protected by PFA. The big guys pay protection to the PFA. It's one of the reasons I've never been worried about going to an arbolito on Florida or Levalle to change money (and the cueva I used to use is one block off Florida and Viamonte - always at least one PFA in the lobby of the building).

AFIP coming down there is an inconvenience at times but only small, unaffiliated guys really get harassed. Currency policies from the government (like flooding the market with dollars, the recent requirement that banks divest some of their dollars by changing the maximum holding in USD, for example) is how Cristina messes with the cuevas.

I don't know about Patagonia or other parts of Buenos Aires (like Palermo as someone mentioned), but Florida, Lavalle and the financial district are safe places in more than one way of reckoning.

My reputable exchange house in Patagonia is being audited for two weeks every third week. The auditors specifically said that they know what is going on and that they are going for proof.

When I was in Villa La Angostura and Bariloche in March, Cambio Andina was openly paying the blue rate.

Assuming you can get an acceptable reference, I can set you up with someone who would charge 5% or less (for dollars -> dollars; pesos to dollars would be at the prevailing blue rate).

When I was in Villa La Angostura and Bariloche in March, Cambio Andina was openly paying the blue rate.

I have never just walked in to ask for it, it start with a reference for me. Not that I have the opportunity to call on their services too often as our income is in pesos already.

But it is nice to be able to pleasantly surprise family and friends from Europe when they have planned their budget on the official rate and I can get them just a bit more. If they come now it is quite a bit more. Usually there is a dinner at Australis in it for me.

Just a though, do you think that the central bank is monitoring the forum?

I have never just walked in to ask for it, it start with a reference for me. Not that I have the opportunity to call on their services too often as our income is in pesos already.

But it is nice to be able to pleasantly surprise family and friends from Europe when they have planned their budget on the official rate and I can get them just a bit more. If they come now it is quite a bit more. Usually there is a dinner at Australis in it for me.

Just a though, do you think that the central bank is monitoring the forum?

Probably only our resident Camporista. Personally, I would never reveal the name of a private source, but no problem with a public one like Andina.

I doubt the central bank is, but I believe it's possible that elements of Cristina's factions are, most likely la Campora. Then again, maybe they just don't care - we are a small minority even amongst the expat community.

I don't know how they could track me down here though - plenty of foreigners and I don't give out my address or anything, but where you live it might be a little harder to hide :)

nikad, I don't know how to PM on here but we have a substantial amount of US$ to transfer out of Argentina, entirely legal and provable. Result of a house sale and my wifes fathers legacy but we cannot seem to find a route to do it. Can you help? Edited to clarify, my wife is an Argentinian national, but an expat. She will be in Argentina to finalise the paperwork in two weeks, we have had a lawyer trying to solve this for weeks, but still don't have an answer on how things work. We are in the EU, and your posts have looked like the most informed we can find. Happy to pay a fee of course for a solution.

Last edited:
Back