How to handle an employer not paying union-stipulated raise

Lala

Registered
I work legally here in account management/sales and my union recently negotiated a 30% increase in my pay. The HR department at my company just informed me that the 30% increase will be paid in my base salary (ie. appear on my recibo de sueldo, etc), but will then be deducted from the commissions I earn each month, because they think I will now be earning too high a base for my position! :eek: So, basically, they are not paying me the increase, even though it legally looks like they are. Sneaky, huh?

Does anyone know the appropriate course of action to address this?

Talk to the union representative at your company ( delegado sindical ) or just go to the Union ( sindicato ) and talk to one of their lawyers ( it should be free )
nik

Wow,

That is beyond sneaky. I'm guessing it's not legal. Definitely speak to your union about it and ask to speak with a union lawyer and have your employer or your HR department tell you this in writing.

My guess is they won't because it doesn't sound legal at all.

That's an interesting question actually because I'm guessing that commission plans can be altered at the discretion of the company and they're not covered by law. But I don't know the answer to that. It's worth it to speak to someone in your union to ask.

As someone who runs a business here - these 30% raises are a killer. I was actually talking with someone this week about it and if it keeps up, in 2-3 years, it won't be financially feasible to have the company here. I'll be able to employ people in the US for less.

citygirl said:
That's an interesting question actually because I'm guessing that commission plans can be altered at the discretion of the company and they're not covered by law. But I don't know the answer to that. It's worth it to speak to someone in your union to ask.

As someone who runs a business here - these 30% raises are a killer. I was actually talking with someone this week about it and if it keeps up, in 2-3 years, it won't be financially feasible to have the company here. I'll be able to employ people in the US for less.

I worked several years as account manager for an american company here in Bs As and apart from getting my salary " en blanco " they would also pay all commissions ( usually was a lot more than the salary ) " en blanco " as well, everything with all deductions, etc. Citygirl: I agree with you :( everybody knows the exchange rate is not making us competitive, add a raging 30% of yearly inflation and and raises between 25-35% and if you are earning in dollars you ( or your company ) will soon be struggling. Rumor has it that this will change dramatically after next year´s elections ( if not earlier )

Thanks all for your advice. I´m one of those who likes to try see things from all angles before planning my attack. ;)

I get that things are hard for employers too - it was just kinda hard to hear that I am not worth the increase (while the rest of the departments WILL get it), especialy since I am in no way making anywhere near what was promised me when I started, which is thanks to an impromptu change in commissions policy which our dept went through in January (also informed the same day we were paid). Guess we are just too good at what we do :rolleyes:, and the company doesn´t think we deserve to earn over a certain amount. I recognize that the company can change policy when and how it sees fit, however, a little notice about the change would have been nice. I´ve got bills to pay too. Killer for motivation as well.

Lala said:
Thanks all for your advice. I´m one of those who likes to try see things from all angles before planning my attack. ;)

I get that things are hard for employers too - it was just kinda hard to hear that I am not worth the increase (while the rest of the departments WILL get it), especialy since I am in no way making anywhere near what was promised me when I started, which is thanks to an impromptu change in commissions policy which our dept went through in January (also informed the same day we were paid). Guess we are just too good at what we do :rolleyes:, and the company doesn´t think we deserve to earn over a certain amount. I recognize that the company can change policy when and how it sees fit, however, a little notice about the change would have been nice. I´ve got bills to pay too. Killer for motivation as well.

If you are really good at what you are doing, If I was you I would send my resume to their competition, it usually does the trick ;)

My visa is tied to my job...ojala fuera tan facil. I would have been gone long ago!

Ohhh Lala - hope you didn't think I was criticizing you or saying you were complaining! Sorry, was just a tangent - apologies. I would definitely ask your union rep. The salary increase is negotiated so your employer should honor it. And even if they can then reduce the commision, that really is unfair and yes, absolutely demotivating.

Is it an Argentine company? I know due to our structure (our parent company is a US entity), it's really a hard sell to convince them that a 30% raise isn't excessive. It's just so outside of the norm of what salary bands are outside that it seems crazy to them, especially with the aguinaldo in play. So the US parent company winds up pushing back on the local company.

But definitely recommend you talk to your union rep, that's what they're there for!

citygirl said:

Less than 7.25 an hour, eh? How much do you pay your employees, if you don't mind me asking? I'm curious.

Back