How to watch US TV

If your aim is to simply watch sitcoms or movies, try Cuevana.tv. If you're trying to view sports, not sure where to go. Either way, look at the upside, you now have an opportunity to make a clean break from the american media mind machine... a few years from now, your liberated brain will thank you.

duanestorey said:
I don't have a solution either, but usually you can torrent the shows you want 24 hours after they air (for the popular ones). It does take a bit of work though. Otherwise some type of router/VPN solution and a TV/show provider back in the US is probably the way to go. But without a slingbox and a dedicated service back home, I don't think you'll get anywhere near full service like you get back home.

don't wait so long! you can torrent the shows usually between 15 and 30 minutes after they air. i use torrentz.com

Yes, I'd have to agree slingbox. They sell it at Radio Shack, I know. They had a sale on them, the last time I was in the States(2 yrs ago). I wish I would have gotten one, EXCEPT,(anyone correct if I'm wrong, I was really into the tech side then, I've forgotten now)....EXCEPT you need someone, family, friend, etc. in which you can 'sling' or forward the channel programs(over the internet) back down here to Argentina. That, for me, was the hard part. But if you can set it up, I think it would be great. It sounds crazy, but sometimes we even miss the ole' 'Straw Hat Pizza' and 'Budweiser' commercials in English. Mark IV

Here's the problem with the Slingbox - quality. The Internet connections between here and the States will not allow streaming HD shows (in my experience). Use torrents and you get beautiful HD - albeit maybe a day after the show airs.

Here's my Mac solution which I love:

• Automatic for Mac - to find TV show torrents and download them. They have most of the major ones and you can find others at ShowRSS and EZRss. Just set it up and forget it.
  • Transmission - Mac torrent client to download the torrents that Automatic finds.
  • Plex - a beautiful media center for the Mac that shows you all your movies and TV shows along with cover art, synposes, whether it's viewed/unviewed, and much more. Also streams media from many other sources.
  • Plex App for iPad/iPhone - watch a show on Plex for your computer. Pause it. Resume viewing on your iPad where you left off. It's awesome.
  • Apple TV - start Plex on your iPad/iPhone. Use AirPlay to send it to your Apple TV. Now you've got that great content on youtr TV. Beautiful and simple. Works great.

Optional - Hazel for Mac. Plex likes to have your TV shows and movies arranged in folders so it can find and catalog them. Hazel allows you to set automatic rules to move the downloaded files to the right folders.

I can't tell you how great this solution is. I get HD content and never have to worry about buffering or Internet quality issues. I have a Slingbox in the States and only use it for live sports.

Be prepared to get searched at the airport with the Television. They will ask you for a receipt and proof of purchase. They may even try to tax you. It is very difficult to bring electronics into the country.

I look forward to the threads to see how people are watching television programs. Sites like Netflix and Hulu Plus will not work in Argentina. A slingbox must be the way to do it. Keep us posted on your success. Thanks!

Slingbox buffering / quality has been "ok" for us, with lots of issues a couple years ago. Then we upgraded our fibertel to 6mbps downloads and that helped a lot. We currently have 2 slingboxes in the US. One connected to a directv HD DVR in the US west, and another one in the northeast connected to an HD TiVo and cable. Both work fine, but you do need at least 2mbps upstream speed wherever the slingbox is connected and something fast here to combat lag time as well. We have a Mac mini as our media center computer connected to and watch slingbox via web browser on it, as well as iTunes hd shows and torrent downloads (transmission)

Slingbox seems like a lot of trouble if you don't have a tv service in the US. Most of the shows are available the next day in Hulu or Vudu or iTunes for as little as 99 cents per show, some even free and 2.99 for HD. This solution will be cheaper than your monthly cable satellite subscription in US and equipment (like slingbox) I like Vudu. Hulu and Vudu are usually pre installed apps in blue-rays players or streaming boxes (Boxee Box, Roku, etc) There are not live shows from big networks yet. But the London Olympics will be streamed live on the internet this summer. When in Argentina change your internet settings to make these devices show an IP from the US (otherwise they will not work when abroad) and you are set. Even your computer can do that and with a cable you could hook it up to your TV. No need of DVRs. Make sure the internet provider in Argentina has huge bandwidth.
Cheers.

I want to that everyone for all the good info and suggestions.
I'm still in Florida, moving to La Plata next Thursday (missing my sweetheart alot).
Once I'm settled I have 3 possible solutions that I'm going to test.
I've researched these services and asked them many questions. They've assured me that when I connect to their service I'll have a big selection of US tv, dvr and no problem with transmission speeds.
I'll let you know how the tests go.
The three are:
http://www.nationphone.com/support.php

http://www.ustvnow.com/

https://www.americantv2go.com/

Jeff

A bit late on this thread, but check out sickbeard.com. It's PVR software that uses the internet to download scheduled shows. It will use Usenet groups or some popular torrent sites to get the shows and the TVDB to rename them. The only downside is you need a machine running at home at all times. I have a small media server.

http://sickbeard.com

Back