How Uruguay tamed the virus

3 July 2020
Coronavirus: how does the first South American airport prepare to resume flights with Europe
...." The country is not open to tourism . And there is no intention that this will be the case," President Luis Lacalle Pou said yesterday after being asked about the possibility of allowing regular ferry frequencies to and from Buenos Aires...

Interesting point about Tourism. I think it could be a longer path to normal than we think in terms of international tourism activities resuming in most of the world.

Last week CEOs of QANTAS and Air New Zealand said they don’t expect to normalize international operations or be able accept inbound tourism until July 2021 at the earliest.

Air France laying off thousands as they don’t think their operations will return to pre-covid levels until 2024 - and because they fear new outbreaks closing things down again.

Interesting point about Tourism. I think it could be a longer path to normal than we think in terms of international tourism activities resuming in most of the world.

Last week CEOs of QANTAS and Air New Zealand said they don’t expect to normalize international operations or be able accept inbound tourism until July 2021 at the earliest.

Air France laying off thousands as they don’t think their operations will return to pre-covid levels until 2024 - and because they fear new outbreaks closing things down again.
AIN'T NOBODY GOING NO WHERE for a while. The world needs time to sort out it's problems.

I have a friend struck in Uruguay since March.

Its amazing, so close and yet so far and no news of when one can return.

We must be thankful in todays times, that we are where we want to be at the moment.

Buquebus recently announced planned frequencies to Montevideo. Apparently, the owner, Lopez Mena, was trying to force the government's hand. Uruguay President's response came back loud and clear - the decision to open the border was the Government's alone, and no private interests could dictate a date.

One more hope dashed.

I don't think we can stay cooped up indefinitely - living in a permanent state of panic is impossible. Eventually, disbelief and denial will kick in, and most of us will go out - many will get the virus, and the thing will run its course.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53188847

An interesting link on how Japan tamed the virus without so much as a mandatory lockdown.

Personally I tend to agree with the argument that it says a lot about the benefits of a socially-minded culture where people just do the right thing.

Whereas here in the Western and Latin worlds it is all about me, me, me and the virus spreads first and foremost from the sheer carelessness of some individuals choosing convenience or want over hygiene. Maybe in some years, this experience will have reminded many that one actually needs a "we" to be "me".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53188847

An interesting link on how Japan tamed the virus without so much as a mandatory lockdown.

Personally I tend to agree with the argument that it says a lot about the benefits of a socially-minded culture where people just do the right thing.

Whereas here in the Western and Latin worlds it is all about me, me, me and the virus spreads first and foremost from the sheer carelessness of some individuals choosing convenience or want over hygiene. Maybe in some years, this experience will have reminded many that one actually needs a "we" to be "me".

That's an interesting take on things, but how do you explain Japan's catastrophically low birth rate in that context of alleged selflessness?

Back