How Uruguay tamed the virus

This is a reply to Pierre Smith, that said, Sweden has one of the world's highest death!

I would not say Sweden has a high death rate. 5400 has died with an average age of 81 years, out of a population of 10,4 million. Sweden´s aim was never to defeat the sickness, but to be able to catch up with the hospitals. Now corona has left the elderly homes. Some days the deaths are as low as 2 per day. In Sweden, even if someone died of stroke, the death cause is written as corona, if they had corona at the same time.

Sweden did think that corona is here to stay. The population take big precautions like distance, washing hands and not visiting old people. Now the government are testing the whole population and because of this, many new cases are discovered with people, who do not have symptoms.

Swedish researchers have discovered that the corona immune system does not lay in the antibodies as much as in the T cells. That means that many of the antibody tests are failing, and that Swedes actually are building a defense system. A long term solution, - which lock downs might not be.

At the moment deaths of corona virus in the world are they same as deaths of normal influenza per year, ca 500 000. The influenza vaccine has apparently little to say.

A Swede

Last edited:
Are you proud of doing that? What makes you so "special", and places you above the law?

What if you are infected but asymptomatic?

That "draconian quarantine" may be the very reason Paraguay is almost free of the virus.
Pride has nothing to do with it. It was the practical and the right thing to do under the circumstances, and yes I know for a fact that I am not infected. Also check out how many people got infected while in government 14 days custody.

Feel free to criticize me for not complying with authoritarian and arbitrary government rules.

Sorry, but acting entitled is nothing to brag about.

As the post bragged: "I jumped on the boat and landed on the other side in a matter of minutes myself. USD20 cash." Such a clever gringo, doing the "practical and the right thing", unfettered by regulations bounding mere mortals!

If you don't like Paraguay's quarantine laws, stay away from the country. It will probably survive the loss.

Last edited:
Sorry, but in my book, acting "entitled" and above local laws is nothing to brag about.

If you don't like Paraguay's laws, stay away from it. Strange as it may sound, the country will probably survive such a terrible loss.
I can sympathize with your feelings and undestand that my action has made you feel unsafe, after months of being locked up in your Belgrano apartment. I promise not to come anywhere near there until this thing blows over.

The promise not to come near my Belgrano apartment is noted, and duly appreciated.

Luckily, I'm not locked up there. Am spending the quarantine quite comfortably in my suburban house, complete with large park and pool. The dogs are happy, too - it feels like an extended vacation.

Was just concerned that an arrogant attitude might give expats a bad name.

Last edited:
Your pool must come with an icebreaker to get any use of it, considering temperatures down there lately.

Locals love me because I spread wealth around. Did exactly that last night when got delayed and stopped by the Paraguay finest. Wops I broke law again but please do not feel unsafe. They won't come and get you even in your dreams. :)

Hello, Pensador... Was you ex allowed to return to Argentina? Just curious.

Si y ahora ella tienes un nuevo vida loca pobre en un disastre. Keeps bugging me for money but not getting a cent. But I did send that well I wont say... some face masks. She has to wear them now...LOL.

Your pool must come with an icebreaker to get any use of it, considering temperatures down there lately.
Ever heard of heated pools? With a winter awning?

Congratulations for spreading the wealth and corrupting the locals. Paraguay needs resourceful and innovative expats to teach them new ways of bribing officials My hat's off!

Am shaking in my boots for fear you - or Them - will come near me - God forbid....! Will have to hire two more yard men to help guard my dogs, my property, and myself.

Last edited:
This is a reply to Pierre Smith, that said, Sweden has one of the world's highest death!

I would not say Sweden has a high death rate. 5400 has died with an average age of 81 years, out of a population of 10,4 million. Sweden´s aim was never to defeat the sickness, but to be able to catch up with the hospitals. Now corona has left the elderly homes. Some days the deaths are as low as 2 per day. In Sweden, even if someone died of stroke, the death cause is written as corona, if they had corona at the same time.

Sweden did think that corona is here to stay. The population take big precautions like distance, washing hands and not visiting old people. Now the government are testing the whole population and because of this, many new cases are discovered with people, who do not have symptoms.

Swedish researchers have discovered that the corona immune system does not lay in the antibodies as much as in the T cells. That means that many of the antibody tests are failing, and that Swedes actually are building a defense system. A long term solution, - which lock downs might not be.

At the moment deaths of corona virus in the world are they same as deaths of normal influenza per year, ca 500 000. The influenza vaccine has apparently little to say.

A Swede

That's some rose tinted interpretation there.

I guess the inquiry is totally unjustified right?

Well thanks to Argentina we have a bit of shit storm going on right now. So far 3 from ARG positive from a Buquebus a lot of people in quarentine government tracking everything and everyone down. Supposedly they were tested negative before they came over and that changed in less than a week. Governer of Maldonado is supper pissed off about this.

Back