How was the Marathon for you?

Liam3494 said:
Katti - Well, Berlin is one of the Biggest, up there with New York, London, Boston.... So I would expect the atmosphere to be brill. Shame to say that Dublin is quiet on the spectator front, except at the finish, (and at out Water Station) - To be fair, Marathon Races are not the greatest spectator sport - Maybe when there are 30,000 runners it can be fun, but smaller marathons don't really generate the fun -

I'll look out for your friend, we will be staffing the water station just after the Halfway House, around mile 14 - One extra bottle ready :)

thanks, I don't think she will have spectators in Dublin... Her favourite marathon is NY (she did this one 2X already), is hoping to run Boston some day, did London and Berlin. What about Chicago? Is that also a big one? I was hoping to support her there next year? WOrth the trouble to fly over? (suppose you did that one too as you did so many?)
She decided to run Dublin as she thought that would be a good reason to visit the city... any reason is good, right?

I would LOOOOOVE to run the Dublin! I love Ireland! Such friendly, warm people but damn that must be a cold race! There were times along the BA marathon course that there were several spectators and a few tango booths and music stands set up...that was helpful in giving you a good jolt of energy. But then there were several looooong stretches with NO ONE and I found those places to be the hardest and most boring to run through. I can't wait to do another! I guess it's sorta like childbirth (I am guessing...I have no children) in that as soon as it's over you forget all of the pain and just focus on the good stuff! Haha

Nope - Never cold in Dublin - we have arrangements with the weather creator to make the last Monday in October "just right" for a Marathon.

As for the feelings of a marathon - At Mile 20, You ask WHY? - At Mile 23, you curse, and cry a little - At Mile 25, you tell yourself how much of an idiot you were for even thinking you could run 26 miles.... At the Finish you are simply relieved the pain is all over, you say NEVER AGAIN...... By the time you have met your family, you are feeling happy again, and start to think "Maybe it wasn't that bad"..... By the time you get to the restaurant to meet fellow runners and eat much needed food (and have a beer) , you are starting to plan your next one :D.....

Katie, during those stretches where you were alone -- or at any point, I suppose -- did you ever feel like you weren't going to make it?

How do you all make it through the pain? I imagine it must be immense at some points...

Thanks, guys! :) It was definitely cool. I would looooove to do Dublin! I love Ireland! The people are so warm and friendly and wonderful. But damn I'll bet that's a cold race! I am already looking into doing another this year...funny how after it's over you forget the pain (kind of like childbirth, not that I have kids, but I am assuming) and just focus on the good stuff. Haha

Back