Hypothetical situation regarding dollar vs peso

Let's hope Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas are not the benchmark for what's happening in the US

BlahBlah said:
There is nothing speculative about the fact that there is hardly any inflation in the US now
No, what's speculative is extrapolating the present into the future.

harpo said:
No, what's speculative is extrapolating the present into the future.

I just made the point there is no inflation now, that's correct.

There is no need to be concerned about inflation now

BlahBlah said:
I just made the point there is no inflation now, that's correct.

There is no need to be concerned about inflation now
Inflation is low now because money isn't moving around; the world is in recession, business and individuals aren't spending, banks aren't lending.

But the trillions of queasing money won't just go away. It may be having no effect now, but wait until the economy defrosts a little and it hits the system with a bang.

Maybe I'm wrong, but do you think that any of the 'experts' who got us into this mess know any better? This is one big and very risky experiment carried out by discredited and desperate men - not to worry, they are rich and secure enough not to be personally affected.

if the dollar seriously tanks, or another currency becomes the worlds anchor, most of the free world will be in shambles.

diego7david said:
if the dollar seriously tanks, or another currency becomes the worlds anchor, most of the free world will be in shambles.
Mad Max will be there to lend a hand.

diego7david said:

Why?

tttttt

So, if you have dollars, what do you buy instead? gold ? (horribly speculative) Euros ? (they are in worse shape than the USA)
I am back in California now and I have apartments that I rent in the Bay Area. This is the first time since the mid-1980s when it is taking approx. 6 months to rent an apartment in a desirable area. No calls; no interest...which tells me that people are hunkering down where they are and are just too afraid to make any moves or some have moved in with family at home. The prices on Craigslist are all over the place...nothing makes sense....owners are just throwing out all kinds of prices to see if one will catch someone's eye. Last year and even through January of this year, I could rent an apartment in one weekend. The good ol' days are gone...it seems.
From my conversations with people, positions and entire departments are being cut in the large corporations and the ones looking for employment are finding temp jobs and the pay is not enough to live on. I'm hoping some incredible new advances in science, technology and medicine will appear and that will create more jobs. We have to get people back to work. NOW!

Harleygirl said:
So, if you have dollars, what do you buy instead? gold ? (horribly speculative) Euros ? (they are in worse shape than the USA)
I am back in California now and I have apartments that I rent in the Bay Area. This is the first time since the mid-1980s when it is taking approx. 6 months to rent an apartment in a desirable area. No calls; no interest...which tells me that people are hunkering down where they are and are just too afraid to make any moves or some have moved in with family at home. The prices on Craigslist are all over the place...nothing makes sense....owners are just throwing out all kinds of prices to see if one will catch someone's eye. Last year and even through January of this year, I could rent an apartment in one weekend. The good ol' days are gone...it seems.
From my conversations with people, positions and entire departments are being cut in the large corporations and the ones looking for employment are finding temp jobs and the pay is not enough to live on. I'm hoping some incredible new advances in science, technology and medicine will appear and that will create more jobs. We have to get people back to work. NOW!
Gold is the traditional haven in uncertain times and I've heard that the very wealthy are going for the shiny stuff - not just paper saying you own some, the actual physical metal.

Problem with gold is where to keep it. The marauding motor-cycle gangs will kill for a pound of carrots - if they think you've got gold...! Also, you get no interest, unlike cash, so you rely on the price going up - and they do just keep on digging more and more out of the ground. Still, I wouldn't call it horribly speculative; it will always be valuable, whereas a dollar is intrinsically worth... the value of a piece of paper with George Washington's head of it.

Harleygirl said:

If you think it's too risky, do nothing and stay in dollars. The easiest thing is to do nothing.

I'm hoping some incredible new advances in science, technology and medicine will appear and that will create more jobs. We have to get people back to work. NOW!

If hope is enough for you, well and good. And the current president is all about hope. But those of us who lack the audacity of hope have moved out of dollars.

Back