Hypothetical situation regarding dollar vs peso

bigbadwolf said:
My question is: What do people do with the hot-potato dollars they are receiving for the sale of their assets? If, say, China paid me $50m for the sale of some land, I would want to rid myself of the dollars as fast as possible.
Argentina pays international debt.

Reminds me of the famous French proclamation: "LET THEM EAT CAKE!!"

The Boskin/Greenspan argument was that when steak got too expensive, the consumer would substitute hamburger for the steak, and that the inflation measure should reflect the costs tied to buying hamburger versus steak, instead of steak versus steak. Of course, replacing hamburger for steak in the calculations would reduce the inflation rate, but it represented the rate of inflation in terms of maintaining a declining standard of living. Cost of living was being replaced by the cost of survival. The old system told you how much you had to increase your income in order to keep buying steak. The new system promised you hamburger, and then dog food, perhaps, after that.

To follow up on my last post, it's not just US inflation figures that are being fiddled but also unemployment figures. Thus officially US unemployment is around 9% but by the 1980 critieria it would be around 20%. To use a term of Michael Hudson, the US economy is a "polite fiction."

mini said:
I think BlahBlah was talking about inflation in the US & not in Argentina.

That is right

Eating out is definitly cheaper in the States now, hotels are cheaper, gas is cheaper(excluding gas) and shopping in general is way cheaper. Service is also about a million times better.

This is for someone who earns in Euro's, if you earn dollars it's probally about the same

BlahBlah said:
What do they know?
They know the more dollars coming to Argentina, most likely to get their money. What made really mad to AFTA group in the past years was that Arg reserves are not used to pay debt (or their bonds in special), but in the middle of 2008 appeared a proposal from 3 international banks for dealing with that debt. It became in an stnadby situation due to world crisis but the plan is still running.
But the focus of my comment is that countries like Arg has no problem taking dollars because they are already expended. That´s why is not easy to peso increase their value. For an opposite position look at Brazil.

soulskier said:
Americans are living paycheck to paycheck because they lived outside their means and their credit and/or jobs have dried up. Es decir, many Americans are paying the piper at the moment.

Bariloche has been good to you.

Now, what are you putting in that mate that you drink??

Recoleta Carolina said:
Bariloche has been good to you.

Now, what are you putting in that mate that you drink??

Yes, Bariloche has been excellent to me. (over 30 days and no promotions per your challenge)

As far as mate and mood enhancers, I prefer to alternate the two instead of combining them for maximum effect.

Back