I arrive in September to live - need a room!!

onmywaytoBA

Registered
Hi I've just been introduced to this site.. I move to BA in September on my own, and am in need of a nice size room in a flat ideally max 2 or 3 bed.. something clean and in a nice area.. I'm 30 so need my comforts!!

I'm a British man, will be working full time in a british company, will be on a budget so nothing too expensive. any tips?? I've heard to get your own place you need a 'guarantee' from someone who owns a property, so am happy to share a flat, but it must be of good standard and not a backpacker joint.

Thanks for your support!!

G

You got three options:

1. Find a shared apartment (try craigslist)
2. Rent an apartment "alquiler temporario"
3. If you're staying more than 6 months you can sign a 2 year contract (which can be canceled after 6 months in 2 months in advance). Most wont do this without garantia but some do if you pay 1 year of rent in advance. You will have to call around (or email) and ask.

For 2 and 3, try clarin immobilaria:
http://www.inmuebles.clarin.com/

Good luck and welcome to BA

onmywaytoBA said:
I'm a British man, will be working full time in a british company, will be on a budget so nothing too expensive. any tips?? I've heard to get your own place you need a 'guarantee' from someone who owns a property, so am happy to share a flat, but it must be of good standard and not a backpacker joint.

This reads to me as if the British company already has a presence in Buenos Aires and you are coming to join them. Do you already work for them or is this a new job? Anyway, I feel that the HR department ought to be doing a great deal more for you. Presumably they are organising your work visa etc but I would have expected them, if not to actually put you in the company flat when you arrive at least to find you somewhere to stay to begin with. When you are ready, they could help you to find somewhere more permanent. It's not uncommon for companies to put up the garantia in favour of their employees so I should ask them about that too.

orwellian said:
3. If you're staying more than 6 months you can sign a 2 year contract (which can be canceled after 6 months in 2 months in advance). Most wont do this without garantia but some do if you pay 1 year of rent in advance.

There are not much people who will give you a 2 year contract if you don't have the "garantia" but you can have luck if you will rent directly from the owner without an agent. Good option to offer are if you have a contract and can present your income papers of at least the last 3 month or will pay at least 6 month of rent in U$ (not in pesos) in advance.

BE CAREFULLY : If you will cancel a 2 year contract within the 1 year you will loose 100% of your deposit, between 12 and 18 month you will loose 50% of your deposit.

Better way and mostly cheaper one in fact of the inflation is to sign two 6 month contracts at same time with same price. With this method you will have 1 year full temporary contract without an increase of the rent price.

bye alex

I am living in USVI but i have my mom and sister in BA. They have a nice apart. in the best of Martinez and they would like to rent a room. Let me know and all the best in BA, it's a great place.

Back