I don't really understand economics...

sleslie23 said:
Who cares? You have a great reason for wanting to come to Buenos Aires. Just come and have fun, and most importantly, don't spend much time on baexpats! :)
`

ROFLOL we are something here are we not. Have be crazy to be here.:cool:

gusgutier said:
A military dictatorship can be more efficient in this matter. And believe me, it was.

If and only and say ONLY with a compelling understanding of the poor here. That they put edcuation at the top of the the list. Short of that you are in error and we have not yet in the history of humanity seen any military solution ever do that.

So on the other side you will end up with another 20 million uneducated poor people on top of the 10s of millions you already have looking to a leader to put food in their stomaches. While in the mean time they could have become educated self supporting men and women with and eye for the future.

jamila said:
Do you think they might manage to have all that taken care of BEFORE i get there in Septemeber ;)

If your lucky you might to get to watch it on a free LCD with futball para todo on another channel and eating milanesa para todo. :cool:

sleslie23 said:
Jamila, the truth is no one has a clue where we will be next week, September, or next year. Inflation is very high, with no end in sight. There may or may not be a recession. There may or may not be food shortages.

Who cares? You have a great reason for wanting to come to Buenos Aires. Just come and have fun, and most importantly, don't spend much time on baexpats! :)

i meant interested as in... " i wonder what will be going on when I arrive" as opposed to "I need to figure it out or I am going to stress"

I do have a great reason to come.. I am know am going to have lots of fun. and you are right i shouldn't spend too much time on BAexpats.. I wish i could be there already...planning for my trip is the next best thing to being on the way..

jamila said:
i meant interested as in... " i wonder what will be going on when I arrive" as opposed to "I need to figure it out or I am going to stress"

I do have a great reason to come.. I am know am going to have lots of fun. and you are right i shouldn't spend too much time on BAexpats.. I wish i could be there already...planning for my trip is the next best thing to being on the way..
You already have the most important thing which is a good, positive attitude. That will serve you well. But don't you agree that it would be terrible to arrive here not knowing any of these things in advance? This way you are armed with the information.

camberiu said:
I don't see how deflation would present problems to manufacturers. Semiconductors and computers have been on a state of MASSIVE deflation since the dawn of the industry. Has it discouraged investment? Has Intel, ARM, Apple, IBM or Qualcomm invested less in research and manufacturing despite the massive deflation that their products suffer over time?

It is not deflation, it´s reducing prices according to higher competitiveness.
In deflation there is an expectation of all prices going down and there is no comsuption waiting to get the bottom line. In this scenario, a good chance of decreasing economy for years. For example just look Japan´s economy in the last decade.

surfing said:
You already have the most important thing which is a good, positive attitude. That will serve you well. But don't you agree that it would be terrible to arrive here not knowing any of these things in advance? This way you are armed with the information.

Yes I would much rather know something about what is going on than to be completely surprised when I arrive.

KarlaBA said:
By the way, Argentina is not in a recession. So this doesn't even apply, nor would this debt scenario apply as most companies in Argentina have little debt. Prices are increasing in Argentina due to Cost of Living Increases in salaries which are a never ending spiral upward.

Not in a ression. If you ask me Argentina has 2 possibly 3 economies.

40% to 60% or more of the population of this country actually lives in a depression, and it has been that way for decades. These are the poor and you will see them lined up at Banco Nacional for blocks several days out of the month. Sort like of our soup lines in the 1930s.

After this we have a small middle class and they are in a resession right now. Automotive is down 24% year over year and auto imports are down 45%. This is Argentinas number 1 Industry at the moment and it is down double digits.

After these folks we have the elite and nothing that happens is going to touch them anyway. Unless the governement takes them out on the way down.

Inflation why? Many reasons supply and demand and other factors. But the population simply does not have the spending power it needs to continue on a growth track with this inflation. It is impossible and no body wants to deal with it or face it. So by the time it hits home it will be far to late.

My calculations estimate that.. inside of 2 to 5 years the entire country will be in a long term depression which may last up to a decade, except for the elite. Unless they are whiped out by the governement on the way down.

Consider this, no absolutely no possible bail outs or outside help on the other side of this. We have been cut off from that by the new radical desperate policies unfolding and escalating every day. All trade partners have been alienated, all multi-national investors and or corporations would not even consider this country for investment. Even the citizens are running for cover in the dollar.

Look around you, desperate people do desperate things. Which tells me, even if I had no understaning of economics, which I do.. that desperate times are ahead.

And ulimately the poor will pay the highest price.. :(

tomdesigns said:

40% to 60% or more of the population of this country actually lives in a depression, and it has been that way for decades. These are the poor and you will see them lined up at Banco Nacional for blocks several days out of the month. Sort like of our soup lines in the 1930s.

After this we have a small middle class and they are in a resession right now. Automotive is down 24% year over year and auto imports are down 45%. This is Argentinas number 1 Industry at the moment and it is down double digits.

After these folks we have the elite and nothing that happens is going to touch them anyway. Unless the governement takes them out on the way down.

Inflation why? Many reasons supply and demand and other factors. But the population simply does not have the spending power it needs to continue on a growth track with this inflation. It is impossible and no body wants to deal with it or face it. So by the time it hits home it will be far to late.

My calculations estimate that.. inside of 2 to 5 years the entire country will be in a long term depression which may last up to a decade, except for the elite. Unless they are whiped out by the governement on the way down.

Consider this, no absolutely no possible bail outs or outside help on the other side of this. We have been cut off from that by the new radical desperate policies unfolding and escalating every day. All trade partners have been alienated, all multi-national investors and or corporations would not even consider this country for investment. Even the citizens are running for cover in the dollar.

Look around you, desperate people do desperate things. Which tells me, even if I had no understaning of economics, which I do.. that desperate times are ahead.

I respectfully don't agree with this post, first your data is not accurate, second, there are no recesion here that last 10 years, the recesion here are very fast and brutals and then the country start always a new grow process, the economy of this country always move in cycles very big falls and very fast recovery that is what make this country so unstable, a recesion of 10 years only happen in stable countrys like japon, here when crisis comes all collapse very very quickly and people is use to that, so the collapse here is always bigger than it should, then when people calm down and bring back the money the economy start a new cicle of fast grow commonly for 7 to 10 years when a new bubble appear and then a new collapse, you can observe the history has always been like that, people is used to suffer 1 collapse every 10 years and a fast recover after, they are used to that.

tomdesigns said:

Here i let an interview to of a respected economist about the future of the country and what is going on:
http://www.ambito.com/noticia.asp?id=641444
Use google translate is in spanish lol, bad in resume he says that the economy is slowing down but we he don't expect a collapse or nothing like that, and he see a good future ( i supose when this gobernment end his period lol)

Back