Argentina is expensive. Really don't know how middle class here get by

Fiscal

Registered
My income is in USD and is relatively high for the US. My wife was definitely wrong about getting by on $1500 here. The only place where Argentina seems cheaper is with food. And even then, only in some cases. A fancy restaurant here is $100 vs $300 in Los Angeles. But there are tons of mid ranged restaurants that are $35-45 that are more or less the same as a US restaurant. Clothes, electronics, etc often seem more expensive, much more expensive in fact. Rent in a ritzy building is about the same in LA.

The difference is that in LA there are thousands of yuppies like me with the same income. From what I've been told, a doctor in Argentina doesn't make more than $50k, which is less than what a secretary makes in LA.

So how do people manage here? I understand there are plenty of wealthy Argentinians. But is there a middle class here? Who are they? I can't imagine a doctor making 50k having a decent quality of life here.

Doctors make U$S 50,000? Really? Annually? I didn't think they earned as much as that unless they're high level surgeons. Is this correct?

I think restaurants are cheaper in BA. A glass of wine in an average place in NYC is U$S 15 not including tax and tip. Electronics have always been more expensive in Argentina.

Doctors make U$S 50,000? Really? Annually? I didn't think they earned as much as that unless they're high level surgeons. Is this correct?

I think restaurants are cheaper in BA. A glass of wine in an average place in NYC is U$S 15 not including tax and tip. Electronics have always been more expensive in Argentina.
A good doctor here makes much more tha 4k a month.
Rent cost the same as in LA?are you crazy?where do you rent?in the strugamu?In belgrano,a one room apprt cost about 12.000 pesos,that is 300 dollars a month,where do you rengt in LA for 300 a month?

I don't know where you eat out. But at my favorite places I can have a nice meal with a glass of wine for less than 20$ with a tip. There is no city in the U.S. I could afford to buy an apartment. I have a nice apartment here. There is no city in the U.S.where I could live on my social security. I can here. With dollars ,if you are not extravagant, it is easy to live a very nice life here.

I don't know where you eat out. But at my favorite places I can have a nice meal with a glass of wine for less than 20$ with a tip. There is no city in the U.S. I could afford to buy an apartment. I have a nice apartment here. There is no city in the U.S.where I could live on my social security. I can here. With dollars ,if you are not extravagant, it is easy to live a very nice life here.

How many USD? And when did you buy your place?

What middle class? It no longer exists in the USA or Argentina.
There is no middle class in Los Angeles but there are plenty of lawyeds, doctors, engineers, finance/hedge fund types that make $400k plus. Which is a lot of money but in LA does not get you far if you want to buy a house or send your kids to private school.

There is no middle class in Los Angeles but there are plenty of lawyeds, doctors, engineers, finance/hedge fund types that make $400k plus. Which is a lot of money but in LA does not get you far if you want to buy a house or send your kids to private school.

U$S 400,000 is not enough to live on? Won't pay for private school (anyway why do you need private school if you live in a nice suburb?). You can't get a nice home on a salary of U$S 400,000 ? OMG. Is everyone homeless in LA?

Back