I Don't Say Anything About Your Blue Leopard Print Stretch Pants

I understand that it can seem rude (and many times it is, of course) but speaking for me and people that I know, sometimes the staring is not meant to be offensive (or even on purpose). Of course I don't stare on purpose and I don't mean to offend or make anyone uncomfortable but sometimes I stare because I like what someone's wearing, sometimes I stare because I'm trying to figure out where someone's from, sometimes I stare because I want to see what someone's reading, sometimes I stare because something completely random calls my attention, and sometimes I'm just looking at nothing and it seems like I'm staring.
The thing is, here is more common (between Argentinians) and that's why it seems so rude or offensive to a foreigner. But I swear many times is not because we hate your shoes! (Although, I admit, a horrible pair of shoes calls my attentions, whether they are being worn by an Argentinian or an American)

The staring does not bother me a bit.. This is another culture and as I see it they are just curious.. what the hell is that? All the time people are telling me I look like the Terminator or some other person. Enjoy the culture, enjoy the curiousity, enjoy the people around you, for me it leads to conversion and meeting new people.

To the OP - just assume they're staring at you because you're so hot ;) It makes it much easier to take!

On a serious note - as a foreigner - yes, the staring seems rude b/c it's not what I grew up experiencing. But here, it's not. Everybody does it - men, women, children. It's just another thing to get used to and it's important to realize it doesn't have the same meaning as it does in other countries.

sheawj said:
Naturally! :D

Juaaa ja ja aaaa comon... here is the differance.. In the states I am staring a chicks all the time too.. But you try to sneak it in and if they look at you, you look away like you were just looking around. Argentines.. they just do not play that game.

It's the drooling that upsets me. Sometimes 3 women stood in a row with eyes bulging and a stalactite of drool from their chins nearly reaching the floor.

I haven't seen the drool but when they keep staring at my crotch I get a little edgy thinking that maybe the fly is open. I guess it's only fair as I'm staring at their boobs. [which by the way are always on prime display............fair is fair]

A week ago I saw a man on the subte who looked EXACTLY like the gay son from wedding crashers, with the messed up hair in the back and all. I couldnt help it from bringing a smile to my face. Judging from his face, he thought I was starring. So, sometimes you may look like someone; a friend, an uncle, and/or the gay son from Wedding Crashers, dont take it offensively.

Saludos.

I admit it. I stare. At everyone. I'm from the States and was also taught it was rude but after being here over 4 years I guess I just got the hang of it. And I'm always shocked that you never DO get the "What the F*** are you looking at?" stare back. Which is nice. I used to give it, but now that I'm just as guilty, I just glance the other way.

Back